1:45 - 5:15 Thursday afternoon

Trisha
For the most part it was a very ordinary day. I didn't see anything new or anything that hasn't been described before. When I arrived, the young were both sitting up on the left nest and then both got down side by side on the same left nest area. They remained down until 3 pm when a small fish was brought in. The adult stayed for about 10 minutes, pulling and tearing and also eating. The smaller chick watched and waited for a few minutes before eating. After the meal they seemed more energetic and there was a small amount of nest only flying practice....mainly by the larger chick. Then they both quickly dropped down in the nest and remained for almost the rest of my stay. At about 5 pm there was a more active period of moving in circles around the nest rim and some cross nest flying and hopping. This was also short-lived and they were back resting. Perhaps the babies are being affected by the first really hot weather I've experienced at the nest. Hopefully they will adjust quickly so their flight education will proceed on schedule.

The best happening of the day was on my way home when I was northbound just south of Weston on US27. A bald eagle flying very fast in a southeasterly direction came right into my view and passed high over the roof of my car. I wondered if it was one of our eagles on the way to pick up dinner and if so how long it might take it to get back to the nest?

Re: 1:45 - 5:15 Thursday afternoon

Jill W
Interesting, Trisha!  Guess we'll never know for sure if the eagle you saw on US27 was one of ours, but most likely it was, I'd imagine.
Yesterday, late afternoon, the eaglets were the most active I've ever seen them.  They were jumping and flapping at the same time.  It was a little hard to watch.  I was so afraid that they would knock each other off the nest.  There was also some pretty good branching going on.
At 5:58, an adult flew in with a BIG meal.  Both chicks chowed down at the same time and there wasn't any conflict at all.  That made me happy, as the last time I saw a feeding, Justice (I think) didn't even try to get any.
Jill

Re: 1:45 - 5:15 Thursday afternoon

Trisha
I'm so glad you finally had a good action day Jill...you've been unlucky in that regard! It really is getting so scary to watch them. When the larger one flies off to the branch pointing west I lose site of it due to a big bunch on pine needles in front and I hold my breath until it's back on the nest! I'm REALLY happy to hear you saw a big meal so there was enough for the little guy to get his fill.