ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

naturegirl
Yesterday I met a guy that works for the Turnpike who said they were planning to expand the Sawgrass and 10th street where the eagles have been nesting past 5 years. The construction will be very noisy and disruptive and take months running into their breeding/nesting/hatching season regardless of when they start and take much need space away.

I also have heard from someone who watches the nest often that a woman named Helen from Audubon comes there with her grey pickup truck and drives right under the nest and yells at people. I have never met or seen her  or anyone closer then pulling off the road but that behavior is extremely destructive not just to the eagles but also kills the wild flowers that are food for the Barred Yellow, Dainty Sulphur & Ceranious Blue butterflies I have photographed there. If anyone knows her please tell her to stop. No true conservationist would behave like this

Eaglet is flying, sleeping in the nest at night and still has food dropped off. Has been seen flying with adults but only for a short time. I heard from observers last year the pair spent more time flying with the eaglets then this year but hard to say what is going on away from the nest area.

Re: ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

Stephanie5056
Thank you for the update.   I've been to the eagle nest at Pritchett farm and am an avid eagle watcher and everyone is extremely respectful of the “rules”. The professional photographers do not go up close but their lenses are a mile long!!!!!     People just don’t get it.   I went to the park to see the nest with only good intentions. I couldn’t find it. How can I get there so I can photograph with a long lense?  I live in Delray Beach and pass it every day when I go to work!!!!!   My experience has taught me that they will find a place to build another nest nearby   Only hope that it’s after the season !!

Stephanie Norych

On Wed, Apr 4, 2018 at 10:20 AM naturegirl [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

Stylechick60
Such a beautiful baby!  Growing so fast!

I wonder why Mom and dad aren’t flying so much with the eaglet compared to last year’s?

I can’t believe they are going to widen the sawgrass.  Powerline can’t handle the traffic that comes off it now!

This crazy woman needs to be reported!  Ugh!

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 4, 2018, at 10:20 AM, naturegirl [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

naturegirl
I don't know if the expansion plans are definite but I was told it's the homeowners nearby that want more lanes because of the traffic. The eaglet seems bigger then the male so we think a female and she sleeps a lot in the day could be just too hot. I am only there an hour every other day same as a couple of other people so who knows what goes on with the family. I have seen the adult calling the eaglet who didn't respond for an hour while napping then did fly to the next tree, the adult I think maybe the male, flew off, waited an hour till 6;30 by then was pretty dark and no adults had returned. I hope all 3 are ok. This may be normal just seemed odd the eaglet wasn't fling with the adults when they went off hunting and as of 4/3 parents were still dropping off food in the nest.

To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

Stephanie5056
Hi.

Just drove by the nest on my way to work on the Sawgrass.  From the road I saw someone looking out from the nest.   Can anyone recommend how I can get a picture of this eagle without disturbing them? I’ve taken pictures of other Eagles at other nests so I know “eagle etiquette”!  Thank you so much

Stephanie Norych

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 5, 2018, at 7:50 AM, Stylechick60 [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

NAML

To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.

Re: ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

naturegirl
Stephanie, the best way is to come from powerline then go west on 10th street just past the lane to exit onto lyons is the shoulder where we all pull off and the nest is right there on your right side. Eaglet sleeps there and stops by but is now back behind and to the right of the nest on the 2 trees where the adults hang out

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

naturegirl
Best viewing is if you park so that as you turn to your right the nest is facing you and the trees they all perch on are just to the right not as easy to see. They tend to hunt from across 10th st going south but could come from anywhere. Eaglet looks huge like a female I named Deidre from Deerfield lol. She sleeps during the day so best chance to see any eagles are between 8 - 10 am and after 4pm. None of us have see the family close together so getting side by side has been impossible so far and lighting is terrible.  Good luck !

Re: ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

Stylechick60
I finally saw 2 of the eagles today on my way to work in a tree!  I was so excited to finally see them after quickly looking and driving at same time.  They were huge from a distance.  I knew for certain that it was them when I saw a car parked with a gentleman and his camera with a long lens photographing them.
I have been looking forever every day to see them!!!!
Yaaay! 🦅🦅 🦅

Sent from my iPhone

Re: ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

naturegirl
Excellent!!! If it was a small white car that Was Mitch e goes almost every day. Were they both adults or was one the eaglet? You can pull over on the shoulder on the side of the road where the nest is.

Re: ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

Hello,

From what I understand this construction will be from Powerline road east to 95, I don't think it will be west of Powerline road. Unless you know of something else, I think the state should be notified of the nest and the hazards the construction could post to the nesting site.

Kit

Re: ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

Stephanie5056
That’s horrible. This is going on in a lot of places and disrupting other nests. Ok. I need help. I can’t find this best. If I make a right in Powerline, then what?  Is it right at the Lyons Rd sign? I saw another empty nest for something else!!!!

Thanks so much.

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 11:36 AM Rockitglider [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

From what I understand this construction will be from Powerline road east to 95, I don't think it will be west of Powerline road. Unless you know of something else, I think the state should be notified of the nest and the hazards the construction could post to the nesting site.

Kit

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

naturegirl
I don't know have to investigate the guy I spoke to said they were studying  the eagles flight paths and it would be a sin to do so much unnecessary damage you would think Quiet Waters would know it butts up against their park

Re: ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

Rockitglider
Hello Naturegirl,

So what is the reason for the flight path study? And do you know who we can contact to find out more information on this topic and when they will have any public meetings for any debate on this construction? I will be attending any such meetings to make this subject heard and to represent the Eagles as much as possible! Please let me know if I can help in any way, I will have lots of free time for this purpose. I really hope it doesn't affect the eagles.

Regards, Kit

Re: ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

naturegirl
Hi Kit,

Yes they plan to expand 10th from I 95 to Sawgrass which goes right past the eagle nest area. FDOT is in charge and had hearings back in 2017 looks like construction will start in 2020. Too bad no one notified anyone about this could have changed their plans since the road won't really do anything about traffic anyway and Century Village is against it. I think only a lawsuit or injunction filed by the homeowners and the park would stop it

Staci-lee

Re: ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

Rockitglider
Hello again,

I joined a mailing list that will notify me of any public meetings regarding this construction project, and give me time to go to the meetings where the public can have input about any concerns, I also contacted the FL Eagle Watch and let them know our concerns and she (Shawnlei Breeding) was the person that told me about the mailing list that I could contact from the project's construction flyer that I emailed to her, I think she is also the president of the Audubon Eagle Watch program. It is doubtful that anything can be done about the construction and the nest may even get moved by the construction project if they deem it to be unsafe for the eagles, I think if it's within 300 feet from the project sometimes they will attempt to relocate the nest. I hope all of this doesn't happen because I really love to watch these birds and take photos of them, but their safety is the important thing so if the nest has to be moved then maybe it's for the better for the birds. I will report on these meetings if they actually send the information to me, and even if they don't I will try to get to the meetings and report back about this project, Lets hope that the birds can stay and that the impact will be minimal for them, and other wildlife in the area. The site where I got the information is if you want to join as well:

http://www.floridasturnpike.com/sawgrass.html

Regards, Kit

Thanks Kit I signed up too. Aside from seeing the eagle family it's important to monitor their well being and this will not do anything about traffic these idiotic ideas never do

Re: ALERT possible bad news for Deerfied Pair & Bald Eaglet and parent April 3-4 2018

Stephanie5056
hi
I finally saw the eagles and took a great picture - where can I post it?  Thank you

Stephanie Norych