APRIL 10: One eaglet seen in nest-- watch for second

APRIL 10: One eaglet seen in nest-- watch for second

Before sunrise, at 6:55 this morning we saw an adult Bald Eagle flying from the direction of the nest towards Sunset Lakes. The sighting was about 1.5 miles SE of the nest.

We arrived at the nest at about 9:15 AM and found the male Pride roosting in a pine to the east of the nest.

Watched for 3/4 hour but only saw one eaglet. It looks like the older, probably a female.

Pride then disappeared to the NW but reappeared about 10 minutes later and entered the nest from the rear, He was not carrying any prey. Once again we only saw one eaglet.It did not beg for food and there was no feeding activity.

Keep an eye out and please let us know if you see the second eaglet.

Re: APRIL 10: One eaglet seen in nest-- watch for second

Kathybaker
Hi, I was out at the nest this afternoon from about 2:30 till 4:30 and yes I saw both eaglets.  What accured after one of the adults returned was unbelievably sad.  I don't know if the adult had food or not I couldn't tell, but for what ever reason the bigger  eaglet killed the smaller one.  I was taking photos at the time and couldn't get my head around what I was seeing.  Im sorry to have to be the one to inform you of the loss of one eaglet but I assume its natures way.

Re: APRIL 10: One eaglet seen in nest-- other has been killed

Yes, Kathy it is very sad to learn that the older and more aggressive eaglet killed the younger one. I feared it was being cowed into laying low or even already injured by the older one when I posted my message. Siblicide is one of the eagles' keys to success, as it gives the surviving eaglet a much better chance of becoming an adult.

As you may know, the first eaglet is more likely to be a female than a male, and she is larger than the male at all ages.  The second is more likely a male, so there is a 1:1 sex balance. The first-hatched, if a female, is more likely to kill a second female, perhaps because it eliminates a competitor while still small and weak.  A female and male sequence is the most successful combination for survival, maybe because the male learns its place in the hierarchy and does not challenge the female. This also assures a balance between the number of males and females as adults. If the first-hatched is a male the entire brood has less chance of surviving than if the first is a female.

Since south Florida eagles developed an instinct to breed much earlier than those up north, there were inherent advantages-- less heat stress on the eaglets and better prey availability when they are growing fastest in February and March. Let's hope that Pride and Jewel can provide for the single eaglet and see her fledge successfully sometime in late summer.

If you have a higher-resolution photo I would like to see it.

Re: APRIL 10: One eaglet seen in nest-- other has been killed

Kathybaker
  I have a few more but non of them are great.  Thanks for the explanation, I know its all nature and for the good of the eagle population just wish I wasn't there to see it

Re: APRIL 10: One eaglet seen in nest-- other has been killed

Kathybaker
  they aren't in the correct sequence but it just about tells the story

Re: APRIL 10: One eaglet seen in nest-- other has been killed

Thanks for the additional photos, Kathy. I can only imagine how difficult it was for you to witness this, but the documentation and quality of the photos is excellent.

Re: APRIL 10: One eaglet seen in nest-- other has been killed

Lisa G
I am very sad to see this happen :*( are we positive the other baby passed ? I want to make sure before I post it on the Facebook and the Website . My heart is broken right now as many of us are heartbroken :( Nature is so cruel sometimes
https://www.facebook.com/pages/South-Florida-Pine-Eagle-Nest-Inc/537121543002300

UPDATE !!!!    We are pleased to announce that we are now South Florida Pines Eagle Nest , Inc. a 501 C (3)  as of November 18, 2015 Public Charity Status 170 (b) (1) (A) (vi)  Employer Identification Number : 4-3116409 DLN: 26053716001635  . Donors can deduct contributions they make to us under IRC section 501 (c) (3)  If you have Donated in the last 27 months your Donation  is Tax Deductible ..

Thank you!! If anyone has questions please feel free send an email to ag2761@comcast.net

Re: APRIL 10: One eaglet seen in nest-- other has been killed

rcpetit