Bald Eagle Pics - I Was Fortunate Again, But This Time I Went To Get My Camera!

Bald Eagle Pics - I Was Fortunate Again, But This Time I Went To Get My Camera!

vdelauz
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to take a moment to share my encounter with a Bald Eagle today. Bald Eagles have quickly become one of my favorite birds and I've been very fortunate to have been able to encounter them many times in the wild. Sometimes, I happen to have my camera with me and am able to capture these moments. Other times, I'm not so lucky and can only take mental pictures.

About two weeks ago, while headed to work one morning driving by the south side of the fields behind the development where I live, I spotted a lone Bald Eagle taking flight together with a flock of mixed Turkey and Black Vultures. The eagle was impossible to misidentify, not only because I saw it very clearly, but because its white head unmistakably screamed out Bald Eagle. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me that morning, so I was unable to capture the moment. I was, however, very happy to not only spot one once again, but was happy because in order for me to have seen one again, it must have meant that these majestic birds are on their way to making a population comeback.

Fast forward to this afternoon and, while on my way home from work and driving by the east side of the same field, I spotted what I thought was a young Bald Eagle and a Turkey vulture. I did not have my camera with me, but I stopped on the side of the road and went to take a closer look with my own eyes, just to make sure that what I had seen was in fact a Bald Eagle. Since it did not have the signature white head, I had second-guessed myself. What differentiated this bird from the vulture, though, was its yellow legs. To my surprise, after trekking a couple of hundred feet through a dirty field in my office attire, I determined that what I had spotted was in fact a young Bald Eagle feeding on something. The Turkey Vulture was waiting "in the wings" for its opportunity to feed on whatever scraps the Bald Eagle felt like leaving behind. At that moment, I decided to take a gamble and drive to my home to pick up my camera. On the way back, I was hoping that the eagle would still be there. I'm happy to report that my gamble paid off and these are the images of what I witnessed.

I certainly hope you all enjoy these moments as much as I did!

Turkey Vulture waiting "in the wings" for young Bald Eagle to finish its meal.
Turkey Vulture waiting "in the wings" for young Bald Eagle to finish its meal.

Yellow legs that helped to differentiate the Bald Eagle from the Turkey Vulture.
Yellow legs that helped differentiate the eagle from the vulture.

Unidentified prey looks like it was a fish.
Unidentified prey looks like it was a fish.

The eagle was having a great time consuming its midday snack.
The eagle was having a great time consuming its midday snack.

Landing gear down, but about to be raised.
Landing gear down, but about to be raised.

Flaps in the upright position.
Flaps in the upright position.

Have a safe flight!
Have a safe flight!

Re: Bald Eagle Pics - I Was Fortunate Again, But This Time I Went To Get My Camera!

Immature Bald Eagles often hang out with vultures as they gain skills to find food on their own. They are very susceptible to being killed in motor vehicle collisions, as road kill is an attractive and readily available food source.

Very nice photos, and most interesting observations!

Re: Bald Eagle Pics - I Was Fortunate Again, But This Time I Went To Get My Camera!

vdelauz
Ken, that makes sense, especially after seeing the two spending lots of time in uncomfortably close proximity to one another. The eagle would take a bite and literally turn its head to look at the vulture each time it did so.

Thank you, as always, for your insight and your praise!