Bald Eagle roosting just NE of turnpike & I-75 intersection

Bald Eagle roosting just NE of turnpike & I-75 intersection

A new registrant reported this Bald Eagle roosting, most likely in the undeveloped area just to the right (north) of the Florida Turnpike extension at the beginning of the exit ramp to southbound I-75. This area seems not to be accessible by public roads.

She writes:

I'm no expert at bird watching but love Eagles.

Every day on my way to work I see at least 1 huge beautiful eagle on a tree branch, I think there is a nest.

As I'm driving west on turnpike right where the exit ramp taking you to 75 south can't stop the car to take better look, the property is fenced in. I would love to show you.

Florida Audubon  EagleWatch has assigned a number DA005 to a nest site at that location but there are no observation notes for it. Perhaps it is an historic record but not monitored by EagleWatch at present.

This clip is from the EagleWatch Nest Locator Map

UPDATE Re: Bald Eagle roosting just NE of turnpike & I-75 intersection

Nest DA005 was active in 2014 in a wooded area which was in the direct path of the newly constructed off-ramp from southbound Florida's Turnpike to southbound I-75, as indicated in the second image below. Presumably, FDOT obtained a permit from USFWS to remove the nest. Perhaps the eagles built another nest at the new location or in another undeveloped area such as that in the center of the gated community.

This is the area as it appeared back in 2014:

The Bald Eagle was seen in a small triangular undeveloped area south of Coral Cove Elementary School, 5100 SW 148th Ave, in Miramar (Broward County).

The specific location is next to a gated community, east of the corner of unpaved Honey Hill Rd & SW 54th St., across the canal which  runs along the east side of SW 148th Avenue, south of Bass Creek Road. It may be accessible from outside the gated community by walking from Coral Cove School (at the NE corner of SW 148th & 51st Street) about 0.3 miles south along the canal, on Honey Hill Road, unless this area is posted.

If they did nest, any eaglets would likely be fledging around now. Shawnlei Breeding, Audubon EagleWatch Program Manager said:  "Unless someone is able to get permission to go into that gated community (SW 148th Ave), there’s no safe place to check for a nest there, unfortunately. Hopefully the pair is doing well and found a safe place to move to and raise their family."

Bald Eagle roosting NE of turnpike & I-75 (Possibly DA009 relocated)

As breeding season approaches, it may be possible to check the territory where the Bald Eagles may have a relocated nest (DA009) just east of the intersection  of westbound Florida's Turnpike and the ramp to southbound I-75. There is no safe viewing area along the Turnpike, but it may be visible from unpaved Honey Hill Road south of Coral Cove Elementary School on Southwest 148th Avenue, Miramar, FL 33027, assuming location is accessible to the public. Note that this spot is in Broward County.

From Miramar Parkway west of I-75, go south on SW 172nd Avenue and turn left (east) on SW 48 Court (also called Bass Creek Road). Continue over I-75 to end and turn right (south) on SW 148 Avenue along the canal to Coral Cove Elementary School where there may be legal parking.

Alternatively, from Miramar Parkway east of I-75, if not blocked by residential community gates, it may be possible to reach Coral Cove Elementary School by driving south for 1.2 miles on 148th Avenue to where the school is on the right (west) side at about the 1500 block just before encountering the gated community.

The unpaved levee path or road just east of the school and running south along the canal (designated as Honey Hill Road) is blocked to vehicles but may be accessible by foot unless fenced off or posted. Do not trespass on the residential properties along the west side of the path. If it is permissible, walk south on Honey Hill Road about 1/4 mile (460 yd / 420 m) to view the area, which is just to the east across the canal, down to the point where SR 821 (Florida's Turnpike Extension) intersects and where there were repeated sightings of the eagles during the last breeding season.

Re: Bald Eagle roosting just NE of turnpike & I-75 intersection

NotToofast
I have seen this eagle perched  on a tree branch. Neighbors living in houses with back access to the canal report multiple sights, most in the morning. Here a couple of pics I took on Dec 11 between 5:00 PM and 6:00 PM. I am adding a map of the place of the sight. The eagle was sitting on a tree where the red dot is. For reference, Coral Cove elementary is where the blue dot is.Eagle nearby DA005 markEagle nearby DA005 markEagle nearby DA005 mark actual sight

Re: Bald Eagle roosting just NE of turnpike & I-75 intersection

NotToofast
Here two more pic of this beautiful bird. Took the pics on Dec 14 at 5:55 PM (Low light). I have seen it as well in the morning, flying along the Snake Creek CanalEagle nearby DA005 mark actual sight Dec 14th

Re: Bald Eagle roosting just NE of turnpike & I-75 intersection

NotToofast
Eagle nearby DA005 mark actual sight Jan 3 2021

Re: Bald Eagle roosting just NE of turnpike & I-75 intersection

NotToofast
Looks like a male Eagle...

Re: Bald Eagle roosting just NE of turnpike & I-75 intersection

NotToofast
Miramar Eagle Perched on one of his favorites tree..note full 180 degree head turn...Pic taken January 14