Barb Walker's note with photos of Osprey nest platform

Barb Walker's note with photos of Osprey nest platform

Barbara transmits some sad news about eagles and ospreys, but also has
photos of a nest platform. If our local Pembroke Pines nest tree were to
blow over, this sort of platform could provide an alternative site, as
eagles often will rebuild near a former nest if there is a suitable
place for a nest.

Follow-up re: Osprey Death was due to impalement on bird spikes

Barb has discovered a serious problem that caused the death of the Osprey-- she writes:

As you can see the cause of my distress yesterday regarding the osprey got a
whole lot worse when I discovered the cause of the impalement.  The Safety
Harbor City Park has lots of bird spikes, some of them are in the middle of
nesting platforms which I totally do not get.  There is barely a safe spot
for an osprey to land out there.  They are being totally set up. I do not
know who is responsible for this but hope they can reverse this immediately
and take all the spikes down as I have requested.  I just can't help it but
I am horrified!

Barb Walker

RE: Follow-up re: Osprey Death was due to impalement on bird spikes

barbibird

Hi Ken,

The spikes are lightning rods placed without thought for the nesting birds.  We found protector caps online and suggested moving those in the middle of nests.  What a mess!!!

Barb

Cc: '[hidden email]'; 'Morse, Gary'; 'Zeigler, Corey';
[...]

Ken Schneider
Web site: http://rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com

ARTICLE: Bird lovers take aim at deadly spikes

Bird lovers take aim at deadly spikes
EXCERPT-- Click Here for full article

By Martine Powers, Times Staff Writer
In Print: Wednesday, July 21, 2010

CLEARWATER

In the world of birds vs. bird control spikes, every story seems more gruesome than the last.

In one, a spike tears through the webbing of a bird's feet.

In another, a dead pelican hangs from the top of a boat piling, the pouch of its bill snagged on a steel prong.

Larry O'Brien of Dunedin watched in horror as a seagull swooped low and tried to land on a pole in Anclote Key River Park.

"The spike proceeded to tear his wing right off his body," said O'Brien, 60, a boater and birdwatcher. "I got the bird and took it down, but it had to be euthanized because it was suffering."

Officials at the Clearwater Audubon Society and the Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary are trying to get the message out to local park rangers, marina managers and waterfront residents: Birds and metal spikes don't mix.

The metal spikes are usually used to deter birds from roosting on top of poles and pilings, building nests, squawking in the middle of the night and splattering droppings all over the surface below. But the steel spikes that jut out 3 to 10 inches can be harmful to birds, marine bird activists say.

"We really don't want to have these birds unnecessarily hurt when it's something we could easily prevent," said Barb Walker, conservation advocacy chair at the Clearwater Audubon Society.

People don't have to resign themselves to signs and decks covered in feces, Walker said.

There are several less hazardous and environmentally friendly alternatives, including black plastic cones that prevent the birds from roosting but are not sharp enough to put them at risk. There are also bird "spiders" with thin, stainless-steel wire arms that are too light for birds to stand on. And, of course, there are always visual deterrents such as scarecrows or plastic birds of prey... (Continued)

Re: Barb Walker's note with photos of Osprey nest platform

Jill W
This is just an appalling situation!  I hope Ms. Walker can get something done to get those awful spikes removed.  I had a hard time looking at some of those photos.

We don't have anything like that here in Broward, Miami Dade, or Palm Beach counties, do we?

Jill

Re: Barb Walker's note with photos of Osprey nest platform

Jill, as Barb pointed out, they are probably lightning rods, not spikes to deter birds. I think I have seen them on the top of some poles in ball fields locally, but will be on the lookout to be sure. They are not sharpened at the points as are bird spikes, but still hazardous and did cause impalement of the Osprey and possibly injury to other birds, especially those with long wings. Barb is seeing if there is a way to modify them to reduce the hazard to birds.