Both eaglets briefly airborn!

Trisha
I spent Sat. morning at the nest 8:45-12:30. Only 1 adult was seen on the dead tree perch for about 2 hrs and then it left and did not return before I left.

The eaglets were very busy with their new found skills. The first "flying session" only involved the larger eaglet. It was moving in a circle around the rim of the nest with both its feet in clear view. It would then start hopping as it held its wings wide open and become briefly air born. It lasted about 10 minutes while the other young stood by and watched. Later both eaglets remained down low in the nest resting for at least 1/2 hour.

Around noon the wind picked up as rain was approaching. Both eaglets stood up high on the nest and were jumping up and down with their wings extended. With the wind very strong they both were hopping from one side of the nest to the other in opposite directions (some of the time air born) It really looked like they were jumping on a trampoline. Watchers were going from excitement to panic as it looked like the wind might carry them right off the nest! Finally the wind got really strong and all at once they both got down in the nest and were still in that mode when I left.....perhaps worn out or just taking it easy in such strong wind.

When I watch them so close to flying it is very exciting but also very frightening. I just wish that there could always be someone at the nest watching to make sure that they are safe. You don't even need binoculars to see this new pre-flight action.....so any amount of time we can spend at the nest is so important for the eaglets in case of a mishap.

Re: Both eaglets briefly airborn!

Michele
Thanks for the update Trish !  Yours are always so detailed !  We drove  by just after lunch and there were quite a few folks out, watching the nest, and the eaglets were "putting on quite a show" !  Will be fun to watch as they make their first flights !  Just have to hope for the best for them...and that we get to experience this again next year !