Brian's answer to my feeding question

Trisha
I wondered if the adults really knew that one of their "kids" was out of the nest as they kept bringing back soooooo much food to the lone sibling. (That little guy must wonder what is going when only 24hrs ago it had to wait to get its food from the left overs of its older and larger sibling.) He explained that the eaglets have enough food in their "crops" (?) to last 2 days. The parents want the flying chick to return to the nest....so instead of feeding it wherever it is in the trees they want it to follow them or come back to the nest and food is the motivator.....very smart parents!

Thanks so much to Brian and Gretta for spending 3 hours in the hot, hot, woods (along with Ken) to actually spot our lost eaglet and reassure us it was ok and in the area and would probably be back in the nest soon. They were great...so knowledgeable and devoted to come up on a Sunday for such an experience! It is just awesome how many wonderful people, from experts to watchers, we have met due to our amazing eagles.