Busy Tuesday morning...

Trisha
I arrived at 9 am to find all 4 eagles present. The babies were up and bouncing in the nest, 1 adult in the dead trees and the other on the favorite perch in the tall pine left of the nest. After about 10 minutes the babies settled down and the adults status quo.

There were a lot of work trucks and activity in the area. I asked what was going on and they said installing poles. At times it was noisy, loud clanking mainly, but only occasionally. The eagle in the pine was interested and looking toward the noise...work was down by the traffic light to the east and down to the west past the dead trees. The workmen were asking when the eagles would leave...as I think they fear for their jobs with less work to do. The babies at times were loud in the nest....their "voices" are "less baby" and a little more like the adults. I don't know if this was related to the work going on. At one time the adults were calling back and forth to each other as they perched in their 2 spots, the tall pine left and the dead trees right.

I was only to stay until 11am but of course things got active as I was leaving. The babies were moving again, the larger one REALLY "flying" up higher over the nest than I have seen. The other watchers and I decided it looked like at least 2 feet above the rim. The adults were coming and going and often soared high over the entire area mingling with the vultures at times. Finally at noon 1 adult came to the nest, parallel to the highway from the west, with a fish. It stayed briefly on the nest to help tear and then flew back to the same pine tree. I left with the babies sitting up in the nest and the eagle from the dead trees absent again. There were no watchers present.

Re: Busy Tuesday morning...

lisa baumbach reardon
Very glad that yousaw both babies active-I was quite worried the way the one was acting late yesterday afternoon- maybe it was just tired ! Or fighting a cold!

Re: Busy Tuesday morning...

Trisha
I've seen that behavior from the smaller one as well. At times now it seems to sit back and stay out of the way of the always hopping and beating wings of its rambunctious, larger sibling. Some of its movements around the nest seem at times to have the sole purpose of avoiding getting knocked out of the nest by its sibling! (good eagle thinking)