Chain Link Fence Being Installed Today

We arrived at the nest about 9:10 AM. An adult had brought in a fish just before we arrived. Later another large fish was carried in. A work crew started pounding in fence posts around 9:30 AM, beginning at the far west end of the northern boundary of the "Eagle Forest." An adult was feeding a chick when they started pounding the first post, and this startled the bird momentarily-- it quickly looked toward the source of the sound, but immediately resumed feeding and tearing at the prey. It ignored all subsequent pounding, even though the posts were getting closer to the nest. Interestingly, one eagle was roosting in the melaleucas to the west, less than 100 feet away, and it showed no sign that the hammering was disturbing it. The crew is using only hand labor. The soil is soft and requires no excavation. We stayed until around

Please report any signs of disturbance. Better that they are doing this now, than in a couple of weeks, when the chicks will probably be branching and could fall if startled.

Re: Chain Link Fence Being Installed Today

Jill W
I was there from a little before 8 (the work crew was already there looking around and then started removing the termporary fence) until I had to leave at 10:10.  When I returned a little before 4, the new fence was finished and the work crew was gone.  I stayed until 6:15 when I left to go to the Bald Eagle presentation (which was great!).
During my afternoon watching, there was not very much to see.  Most of the time, the adults were in the melaleucas to the west down low and far away.  The chicks were usually too low in the nest to be visible or behind some leaves that moved only when there was a strong gust of wind.  I saw one very short feeding.  It's amazing how big the chicks are getting.
Jill