Confirmed 2 of 3 eaglets have perished.

JesseG8r
Sadly, it has been confirmed by one of the other Audubon EagleWatch volunteers that 2 out of 3 of the eaglets at the Pembroke Pines nest have perished. Here is the report from the volunteer from 2/23. The other two eaglets had not been seen for several days before this report:

It is with sadness that I report that 2 of the 3 eaglets have perished. I have been able to confirm this via photographs and observations. The larger eaglets is the survivor.

Re: Confirmed 2 of 3 eaglets have perished.

naturegirl
OMG what happened? were they killed by a predator? Did they eat something that was poisoned? Will there be necropsies done?

Re: Confirmed 2 of 3 eaglets have perished.

JesseG8r
I'm afraid it's difficult to say, but siblicide, though not as common as once thought, is not unheard of in bald eagles, especially in a crowded nest. This is speculation, but seems like a possibility here, as the largest eaglet is the survivor.

Re: Confirmed 2 of 3 eaglets have perished.

naturegirl
oh no they had such tragedy last year two and our deerfield beach nest that had 3 eaglets for about 4-5 weeks lost one too.  hoping for the last eaglet

Re: Confirmed 2 of 3 eaglets have perished.

naturegirl
Any update is the last eaglet still alive ?

Re: Confirmed 2 of 3 eaglets have perished.

Beginning around October, health issues limited my ability to visit the Pembroke Pines nest, but I am now doing much better. I have moved to Connecticut and David Walker of South Florida Audubon is now co-administrator of this FORUM. While I cannot contribute observations I have been following reports and photos of the surviving eaglet which seems to be doing very well.

Dave Madsam inaugurated this Facebook page which now has well over 200 followers and many excellent photos.

Visit Pride and Jewel Bald Eagles of Pembroke Pines

at https://www.facebook.com/groups/6388385571236147

Re: Confirmed 2 of 3 eaglets have perished.

Rockitglider
Ken,

Glad you are doing better, but sad to hear you are leaving us. I will miss you, but I hope you are happy in your move and wish you the best.

Re: Confirmed 2 of 3 eaglets have perished.

JesseG8r
As of 4/1 the remaining eaglet was still alive and well. This morning it was not seen, but at age 10 weeks, this may mean it has fledged. If so, it will likely still remain around the nest for a little while, and may be seen again.