DEC 2: Both adults collecting sticks

Arrived at the nest at about 8:30 AM. Luis was already there and Phil soon joined us. There was much activity. Both the male (Pride) and female (Jewel) flew out to collect nesting materials. Mostly they were small to medium sized sticks plus a clump of grass with roots and soil attached. One of the adults appeared to actually tamp down the clod of sod. Luis saw a few instances of sticks falling out of the nest, no surprise as the nest is poorly sited on a single large almost horizontal limb with only one smaller branch and a few surrounding twigs for support. They do not yet have a visible platform-- they will need more large sticks for that. Tropical Storm Eta blew off many of the dead branches, as I noted in our own local woodland. The eagles were trying, unsuccessfully, to snap off living wood atop an Australian Pine to the west of the nest site. Photography was challenging, as the cloudless sky and bright sun caused shadows which over-exposed their white heads, and their broad wings cast deep shadows. I do not hold much hope that this new nest will succeed. They never tried to fix the old nest which has been occupied at least since 2008 and probably a year or two before it was located by ground observers.

Female Bald Eagle (Jewel):