EVERGLADES HEADWATERS NWR AREA DECLARED

THE BIRDING COMMUNITY E-BULLETIN
February 2012

This Birding Community E-bulletin is being distributed to active and concerned birders, those dedicated to the joys of birding and the protection of birds and their habitats.

EVERGLADES HEADWATERS NWR AREA DECLARED

We have previously written about a proposed innovative, new National Wildlife Refuge and Conservation Area in Central Florida a number of times, most recently in November of last year. We have also tried to stress the project's IBA [Important Bird Areas] implications.

Last month this project was finally launched, so that the Everglades Headwaters NWR and Conservation Area could eventually embrace 50,000 acres as a refuge along with a broader Conservation Area of up to 100,000 acres of conservation easements.

See here for a full description and press release by NWRA:
http://refugeassociation.org/2012/01/new-headwaters-refuge/
and here by the USFWS:
http://tinyurl.com/77a6fng