Eagles seem tolerant of Bonita park construction

Eagles seem tolerant of Bonita park construction

"There are eagles that are more habituated to
activity," (Mike) Myers said. "We are seeing that more and
more with urban eagles that have constructed their
nests in more urban areas. Based on our experience
they seem to be more tolerant with nearby activities."

Full story and photo:
http://www.news-press.com/article/20101002/NEWS0102/10020314/1007/RSS0105

Eagles seem tolerant of
Bonita park construction

 By Andrea Stetson • Special to news-press.com
• October 2, 2010

Construction on River Park in Bonita Springs will
continue into eagle nesting season - which began
Oct. 1 - as long as the work does not affect the
birds, according to Daryl Walk, public works
director for the city of Bonita Springs.

David Anthony and Mike Myers, environmental
consultants with Passerella and Associates of Fort
Myers, have been monitoring the nest for the past
few weeks. The company was hired to monitor the
eagles after the contractor found he couldn't
complete the project by the time eagle nesting
season began.

"They have been flying around in the area and
getting branches and bringing them back," Anthony
said. "The framework of the nest is starting to fill in
now. They would fly right though the trees along
the edge of the construction site. They didn't seem
at all intimidated by all the activity there."

The city bought the 18.3-acre parcel on the
southwest side of the Imperial River by U.S. 41 for
about $2 million in 2005. Compass Construction
Inc. of Cape Coral is taking care of phase one, which
includes a boardwalk through wetlands, a canoe
and kayak launch and a boat dock.

The $635,000 project, paid for with tourist
development dollars, began in the spring. Phase two
will include a pavilion, restrooms and landscaping.
Walk said that phase - which has no set time to
begin - will cost about $1.5 million.

The project was contracted to be completed by Sept.
15. But rain postponed the work. Walk then hoped
to have it done by Sept. 30, but this past weekend
brought more heavy rain and further delays.

Most of the work on phase one is complete. The
only thing left is grading the loop road and putting
a shell surface on it.

"If we just had a few days of hot sunny weather, it
would sure help," Walk said. "We're getting close."

Anthony watches the eagles for four hours a day,
three times a week, according to U.S. Fish and

Wildlife Service criteria. He uses a spotting scope
and binoculars to check if any activity disturbs the
birds. Myers said the eagles would give a distress
call and flush if they were disturbed - and they
haven't done that yet.

"There are eagles that are more habituated to
activity," Myers said. "We are seeing that more and
more with urban eagles that have constructed their
nests in more urban areas. Based on our experience
they seem to be more tolerant with nearby activities."

Walk is glad the eagles aren't affected by
construction. If the eagles show distress,
construction would have to halt until nesting
season ends - May 15.

"They seem pretty much unaffected by what is going
on there," Walk said. "If this continues, we can work
past Oct. 1 if necessary. I think we have to play it
day by day and see what happens."

More relaxed rules make construction of the park
possible.

No construction was allowed within 750 feet of an
eagle's nest during nesting season when the bald
eagle was on the endangered species list. But the
American bald eagle was removed from that list in
June 2007 and is now protected by the Migratory
Bird Treaty Act and the Bald and Golden Eagle
Protection Act.

Those acts don't have specific building boundaries.
They recommend construction be kept at distances
ranging from 340 feet to 660 feet depending on the
site.

Walk believes current construction is at least 600
feet from the nest.