FW: Bird a Thon At Center for Birds of Prey-Help Us Help Them

FW: Bird a Thon At Center for Birds of Prey-Help Us Help Them

Barbara Walker
Forwarded from the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey.  In Pinellas County we had a young female eagle in rehab for a couple of months and it cost the center over $1000 dollars. We really appreciate the postivie impact that the Audubon Bird of Prey Center has on eagle populations.

 April 2009

Dear Audubon EagleWatch Volunteer,

Baby bird season is upon us and each spring Audubon Center for Birds of Prey holds our Baby-Bird-a-Thon to help defray the increased costs incurred during this busy season.  In May alone, we receive 20% of our annual patient load. Fortunately, most of these young birds have been temporarily displaced from their nests. The Center’s ultimate goal is to get all babies back into the wild where they belong, and we need your help!
With an average of 100 baby mouths to feed, you can help us help them by pledging $1.00, $5.00 or $10.00 for each baby raptor we help in the month of May.  You may also choose to send a flat donation, for every penny counts.

Funds raised will help supply baby food, medications, medical care and other essential supplies.  To give you an idea of what it takes to care for these youngsters, last year we admitted 122 birds and it took:
 FOOD…lots of it…287 pounds of fish, 148 quail, 595 chicks, 679 mice, 93 rats, 5000 crickets and 4000 mealworms.  We went through two knives and three pairs of scissors cutting it all up into baby-size portions! Some nestlings require feeding 5 times daily!
 HYDRATION…12,000 ml of fluids were administered
 CLEAN-UP…we washed 956 baby blankets and used 150 pounds of newspaper to keep these babies snuggly
 LABOR…500+ volunteer hours were donated to rescue, feed, clean cages and care for the babies.

We are counting on your support.  You can “Reply” to lwhite@audubon.org with the amount of your pledge or you can visit https://loon.audubon.org/payment/donate/FLEagleCam.html to donate on line.  You can also mail us your pledge or donation to our address listed below.  All donations are tax deductible.  We greatly appreciate your continued dedication and involvement with the conservation of Florida’s raptors and the habitats that support them.

Sincerely,

Katie Gill Warner
Center Administrator

            1101 Audubon Way
            Maitland, FL 32751

Lynda White
EagleWatch Coordinator

Audubon Center for Birds of Prey
1101 Audubon Way
Maitland, FL 32751
407-644-0190 x 106
407-644-8940 fax
http://www.audubonofflorida.org/who_centers_CBOP_eaglewatch.html

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, caring citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
Margaret Mead