FWC Press release: Bald eagles are returning to nesting areas in Florida and will soon begin nesting activities.

FWC Press release: Bald eagles are returning to nesting areas in Florida and will soon begin nesting activities.

This press release was forwarded by Barb Walker, who writes, from Pinellas County:

Hi Everyone,

It feels like an early start this season with Bald Eagles being spotted throughout Florida and throughout Pinellas County.  Not all of our nesting eagles in Pinellas are back but quite a few have been spotted at favorite perching spots and near their natal territories.  For Pinellas our current data/best count for nesting pairs in Pinellas County is 29 although that number does change from year to year.  We have one pair to relocate as the nesting tree had to be removed and are wondering about the fate of one male bald eagle which left with possibly injury to his foot due to a fishing line and lure.  Last year we had an August rescue of a sub-adult Bald Eagle in traffic in the Bay Pines area.  An immature eagle was rescued at Brooker Creek Preserve and later released in the East Lake area.  A bald eagle which had been rescued and released the previous year was photographed and nested for the first time.

Productivity was a little bit lower than we'd like to see but this may be due to carrying capacity.  Also last year, Honeymoon Island saw the first nesting pair in a very, very long time.  A beautiful pair was also enjoyed by many at Cabbage Key and we are hoping to see them again this year.  Local coordination of data has been enhanced and 100% of the nests in Pinellas County are being monitored by volunteers.  Great job by everyone!!!  I'll be forwarding photos one of our volunteers took of the release in Sarasota last week in a separate message.  Another release will take place in Tallahassee and I will forward that information as well.  Anyone who would like to do a tour of selected nests on Saturday, September 26th please email me barbibird@tampabay.rr.com.  I can fit 5 or 6 people in my mini-van. We will meet at 8am at Starbucks on Ridgemoor Blvd. in the East Lake area.

For any of you who have not seen this yet the Osprey Cam is up and running.  www.DunedinOspreyCam.com.  The City of Dunedin will be sending a press release about that soon.  We will be looking for 4th and 5th grade teachers anywhere in Florida who would like to participate in monitoring the Ospreys.  We expect the Ospreys to return to their nest in late September/early October time frame.

Thanks,
Barb Walker
Palm Harbor, FL

= = = = =

FWC Press Release

http://www.myfwc.com/NEWSROOM/09/statewide/News_09_X_EagleSnowbirds.htm

News Release

Bald eagles are returning to nesting areas in Florida and will soon begin nesting activities.

The bald eagle represents a success story in Florida but is still protected from human activities.

Bald eagles among first 'snowbirds' to arrive in Florida

September 3, 2009
Contact: Patricia Behnke, 850-251-2130

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) has received reports of bald eagles returning to nesting territories throughout Florida the past few weeks.

This majestic bird that calls Florida home during its nesting season has been flying back to former nesting sites from Duval to Collier counties, although no one reported nesting activity yet. The official start of the nesting season is Oct. 1.

The FWC removed the bald eagle from the state's threatened species list in 2008 and at the same time implemented a bald eagle management plan with guidelines to help residents avoid causing a disturbance to nesting bald eagles. People should follow the management plan whenever activities or projects are being conducted within 660 feet of an eagle's nest when eagles are present. Bald eagles are protected from disturbance by the Florida Administrative Code, as well as two federal laws: the Migratory Bird Treaty Act and the Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act.

"The bald eagle is a success story in the United States, particularly in Florida," said Ulgonda Kirkpatrick, bald eagle management plan coordinator. "We went from 88 active nests in 1973 to more than 1,100 nests in 2007; that's a twelvefold increase in Florida."

The FWC is committed to conserving the bald eagle. All known nesting territories are surveyed annually by aircraft to monitor nesting activity and reproduction, according to Kirkpatrick.

In Florida, bald eagles may begin gathering materials for nests in late September or early October. They begin laying eggs as early as October and as late as April, with incubation lasting approximately 35 days. Once hatched, the fledglings begin flying from the nest at 11 weeks, but stay with their parents an additional four to 11 weeks.

"If everyone does their part to help conserve Florida's bald eagles, we will ensure that this magnificent species continues to flourish in Florida for generations to come," Kirkpatrick said.

For more information on bald eagles and a copy of the management plan, go to MyFWC.com/Eagle. If you suspect there is a potential wildlife violation occurring, call the Wildlife Alert Hotline at 888-404-FWCC (3922).

Re: FWC Press release: Bald eagles are returning to nesting areas in Florida and will soon begin nesting activities.

Trisha
Thanks to Barb for her update on the Bald Eagles elsewhere in the state....it's great to read encouraging reports. The Osprey cam looks really good...it will be so much fun to watch and take snapshots as the young hatch and grow up. It's also so great to read that all the nests are monitored by volunteers like ours. It would be fun to try to plan a get together for all the volunteers to share our special experiences and photographs of our nest and it's inhabitants!

Re: FWC Press release: Bald eagles are returning to nesting areas in Florida and will soon begin nesting activities.

I agree with Trisha. Perhaps we could plan on assembling present volunteers and anyone interested in becoming one, around January, around the time the eggs hatch, once we know that the Eagle Sanctuary will become a reality.

And yes, thanks to Barb for keeping us informed on the "big picture" of eagle (and Osprey) conservation.

Re: FWC Press release: Bald eagles are returning to nesting areas in Florida and will soon begin nesting activities.

Bald eagles returning to the Bay area

Sunday, September 6, 2009

PINELLAS COUNTY (Bay News 9) -- People are starting to notice that bald eagles are back in Pinellas County.

Audubon volunteers in Pinellas County say it's the time of year when bald eagles typically start returning to the Bay area.

If all of the eagles they monitored last year return, there will be more than two-dozen nests in Pinellas County.

Barb Walker, a volunteer with Audubon of Florida "Eagle Watch," says official nesting season starts Oct. 1, but our area is already seeing some action.

"We've seen the eagles filtering in since mid August," Walker said. "It's not unusual, but the number of eagles that have returned in mid August seems to be a little bit greater then in years past."

Walker says about one-third of the eagles nest in cell towers. One in Madeira Beach was home to a pair of eagles last year, and they're expected to return.
More Information

    * Project Eaglewatch
    * Find your local Audubon chapter
    * E-mail TV reporter Kristy Wolski

In 2008 Pinellas County saw a dramatic increase of eight nests.

While she says another increase is not expected again, it is a sign that the eagles are making a comeback from once being endangered.

"It's an indication of recovery. It's also an indication of pairing capacity because we have one-third of the nests in cell towers," Walker said. "Eagles are territorial and we have about as many as we can handle."

Many of the local Audubon societies sponsor field trips for those interested in seeing the bald eagles.