Family flying!

Patti Ann Photography
I went to the nest on Saturday and there was so much activity!! It was exciting to see the juveniles flying with parents looking on!! Here is a link to my photos. I wish I could get better focused pictures, but I don't seem to be able to.   There are some of 2 flying, I was thinking it may have been the juveniles as they weren't on the nest or in sight near the nest.  I can't be sure though, if anyone can tell, please let me know!!! Thank you!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pvjMKv9TR4ZqPEt39

Re: Family flying!

naturegirl
excellent thanks for the update

Re: Family flying!

Drlester3
I don't think your having a focus problem. What is your shutter speed. I  think it maybe too slow for the focal length of your lens. In general the shutter speed should be 2 times the focal length. A 500mm lens needs a 1000th per second shutter speed. If the problem was focus, part of the picture should be in good focus but everything in the picture looks a little soft. Not bad but a little soft. Hopes this helps

Re: Family flying!

Rockitglider
Hello,

I use anywhere from 1600-2500 for flying eagles. Also use a tripod, but only for far off shots.

Re: Family flying!

Patti Ann Photography
Thank you so much for replying. I really struggle with any editing and shooting!  I have a Canon SL2 and use a Sigma 100-400mm lens and tripod with it.  I am about 1/4 mile from the nest.  I have the camera set on Sport and the lens has autofocus. My other issue is the only photo program I know how to use is Iphoto. I need to update my browser, but Iphoto is no longer supported if I do.  So I really need to learn another program!! The only editing I usually do on my photos is crop and the auto fix tool. I looked at the info and you're right, the shutter speed doesn't match the 400mm. I'm not sure how to change that or what setting I should have the camera set at. I keep seeing ads for Topaz editing and was wondering if you are familiar with that software. Thank you for your help, Patti

Re: Family flying!

Drlester3
I looked up your camera. If i GOT THE RIGHT ONE, IT IS A BEGGINERS CAMERA AND DOESN'T LET YOU HAVE THE CONTROL OF A MORE ADVANCED CAMERA. bUT YOU CAN Sset it  to TV you can then adjust the shutter speed to what you want and it will adjust the aperature for you. If you have a 400 mm lens try setting the speed above 600/sec
As far as editing programs, try GIMP 2. it is nearly as good as photo shop but totally free. Only problem is a steep learning curve. I tried one of  Topaz's modules and can't really give any advise. Need more experiance before I can comment
Leste