Friday, May 8 - Eaglets Very Active

AquaLou
Friday, May 8
6:18 am:   One eaglet called 5 or 6 times from its perch south of the Rose Price Park sign.  Bothered again by two mockers, it soon flew westward out of sight.  The nest was empty as I passed it.  At 209 Ave., there were no eagles visible.  But as I walked further west, I saw both adults deep in the maleleucas due south of the School Crossing sign which is about 100 yards west of 209th.  The adults were close together.  At that distance they appeared to be 10-15 feet apart, however, one of them could have been further back than the other - - hard to tell.

6:30 am:   One eaglet sat on a dead maleleuca much closer to the road about even with 209th Ave.  And by then, the other juvenile was in the nest.  I rolled about two minutes of video before it flew off to the east.  It did a short circle then landed in the pine tree near the power lines, about 50 yards east of our nest-viewing site.  It was joined in less than a minute by the other eaglet.  A few more minutes of video captured the continuing assault by mockers and grackles, until first one and then the other eagle flew away.

6:50 am, after checking the entire area, all four eagles had flown out of sight.

I feel that very soon one of these sightings will be our last of Hope and Justice.  The adults may return in Nov. or Dec., but Hope and Justice remain only as memories, sharpened by the excellent photos captured by so many patient, dedicated photographers over these last few months.

Lou

Re: Friday, May 8 - Eaglets Very Active

Carolyn J
I like to think that our kids will also choose to return to this area when it's time to start a family, maybe even staying close by while they are in their "teenage" years. It's been said that the eaglet from our nest last year is still around, so why not? Makes me feel better to think this way...
Hope to see you around this weekend, as I hear you will be heading back to Ocala area soon.
Carolyn

Re: Friday, May 8 - Eaglets Very Active

Yes, Carolyn--

If the Middle School research project to study the eagles gets funded next season, perhaps we may see color bands to help identify "our" eaglets. They certainly are observed closely.

Carolyn J wrote
I like to think that our kids will also choose to return to this area when it's time to start a family, maybe even staying close by while they are in their "teenage" years. It's been said that the eaglet from our nest last year is still around, so why not? Makes me feel better to think this way...
Hope to see you around this weekend, as I hear you will be heading back to Ocala area soon.
Carolyn

Re: Friday, May 8 - Eaglets Very Active

Kelly Smith
We hope to hear about the grant sometime this month.  Fingers are crossed!  I'll be sure to post the results in the forum.