Friday evening, May 1 - Both juveniles spotted

Friday evening, May 1 - Both juveniles spotted

AquaLou
At 6:30 pm the nest was vacant and there were no eagles in sight.  Trisha and Kino later looked further west in the maleleuca forest.  Kino spotted both Hope and Justice some distance south of Pines Blvd. and west of SW 209 Avenue.  Trisha described both birds as being well back away from the road and very difficult to see due to the low malaleucas.

At 7:30 pm, both flew onto a branch about 15 feet above the their nest.  At one point, both birds went airborne and flew one at a time almost directly over our heads.  It was quite a display.  We were all swinging our cameras into the air trying to get a clear shot.  As of this writing, I know I got nothing, however, I hope Trisha and Kino had better luck.

About 7:45 pm, one flew due east but we lost sight of it behind the tall pines.  The other followed a few minutes later.  Trish, Kino and I all walked east trying to spot the young eagles.  I finally moved about 30 yards further east and saw them sitting together on a pine perch about 50 yards south of the road.  This new location was about half way between our normal viewing site and 208th Avenue (hereafter referred to as the "eastern perch").  A mocking bird did a few dives at and around both eagles, but they didn't seem too concerned and merely turned their heads to watch as the mocker came in from different directions and from above and below.

It certainly appears that the siblings still prefer to stay together much of the time, at least from these latest observations.  I left the site at 8:00 pm with Hope and Justice looking very comfortable on their new perch.

Lou

Re: Friday evening, May 1 - Both juveniles spotted

Trying to get the order of events straight. Have any food drops/feedings been witnessed in past few days? Help me keep track.

Last date both chicks were seen coming to the nest at night (presumably to sleep) April 29th
Last date adults were seen bringing food to the nest-- ???
Last date chicks were seen at or near nest tree-- ongoing (Roosting together nearby May 1)
Last date both adults seen at or near nest tree-- ongoing?
Last date only one adult seen at or near nest tree-- ongoing
Last date only one chick seen at or near nest tree-- ongoing

Thanks!

Ken

Activity May 3 & 4, Sunday evening & Monday morning

AquaLou
Hi Ken,
I provide this info in our continuing effort to document as much activity as possible each day.  This is, as you stated, to help get the order of events straight since we cannot know in advance which day will be the last that we see our Hope & Justice.

Last evening, I met at 6:30 pm with Trisha, Carolyn, and Eileen Soler from The Miami Herald.  Hope & Justice were both perched to the east of the nest about 70 yards almost due south of the 'Rose Price Park' sign on the highway.  They remained there until shortly after 8:00 pm.  I was curious as to whether or not they would roost there overnight.

So, I went out this morning at the first light of day.  It was 5:55 am.  There was just enough light a few minutes after 6 am to discern one juvenile silhouetted against the sky.  It sat still with its back to me and head down, not moving at all.  At 6:12 am, the head came up and it appeared that the bird (Justice I believe) was just waking up.  I began rolling the video and captured some stretches and scratches, and another mocker attack, until it flew off to the nest at 6:29 am.  When I moved back to watch the nest, both juveniles were on the nest and stayed there until flying off at 6:50 am; first one and then the other about a minute later.

Also FYI, Eileen is preparing a report on eagles.  She took lost of pictures and expects the piece to run in this Sunday's Miami Herald (Mother's Day).
Hope to see you both soon.

Lou

Re: Activity May 3 & 4, Sunday evening & Monday morning

Trisha
The only thing additional that I can add to your awesome post, Lou, is that when I got out of my car at 6:30 down in front of the maleleucas I was met by one of the parents. It was flying very low, east to west, just inside the power lines and I assumed it had been on the nest. I had just opened the car door and was getting out when the eagle came right at me (no camera, of course). I saw Carolyn and Eileen in front of the nest so as soon as I got down there I asked them about the adult and they hadn't seen it flying around at all.

After the adult flew right over me it turned southwest and circled back to the east far out in the dead trees. Carolyn walked down later and spotted it far back in the maleleucas, on a very low perch. It never joined all the nest activity with the young described by Lou. I wonder if all the attacks by multiple small birds both at the nest and the branches above and all around their previous, favorite perches in the tall pines is causing the eagles to seek out perches in different locations where we have not seen them before? The attacking birds seem to follow and find them where ever they are in the wooded area.
The eagles keep flying from branch to branch, tree to tree, trying to find peace and quiet!