I finally see the kids in flight!

Carolyn
I was at the nest from 9-1 today. Saw the 2 chicks fly into the nest at the same time, and depart at the same time. They perched way back in the dead trees actually on the same tree. One chick on top, one on a branch to the right.
One chick went back to the nest which I watched for a long time hoping for a feeding, but no such luck. A parent had been at the dead trees also, took flight way into the thermals, so I was hoping it was searching for lunch for the kids.
Louis was also there for a long time trying to catch one of the kids when it took off, but to no avail. Of course, as soon as Louis, myself and another birder woman I hadn't seen before got into our cars the action started!
Both kids back to the nest and a parent brought food. There was a lot of vocalizing from everyone. One kid flew to the parent's favorite perching tree to the East (with the long, vertical branch), and perched there while I took photos.
They certainly seemed to be flying very well. In & out of the nest with no problem, and very smooth flying for kids just out of the nest for a week or less. When I left one had left the nest for places unknown, one stayed put, with a parent in the dead trees.
Saw Trish, Lou, Fernando, but they all were gone long before I left. It was a wonderful afternoon.

Re: I finally see the kids in flight!

Jill W
I'm so glad to hear that the kids are flying well and able to get to and from the nest with no problem!  Thanks for the report.  I'll stop worrying now (for about 2 hours).
Jill

Re: I finally see the kids in flight!

I so agree with you Carolyn...it is thrilling to see the two youngsters flying so well! I thought the action at the nest was mostly over...but if this morning is any example....I was totally wrong. Someone is coming and going all the time. The adults seem to be perching in the pines closest to the fence line. The youngsters are flying in and out of the nest with ease...sometimes heading to the dead stand of trees near a parent or its sibling. I found myself torn over where to watch and which bird to focus on. When I left at 11:15, 1 of the youngsters had returned to the nest and was almost completely hidden...obviously resting from such a busy morning!