JAN 9: Unusual sighting of Pride

This morning at 8:15 AM, while I was walking along the 276th Avenue Canal in Miramar, at a point which is 2.25 miles (3.62 kilometers) due southeast of the Pembroke Pines nest, I saw an adult Bald Eagle circling high overhead. Close inspection revealed that it had the "soiled" tail feathers and the missing or damaged 6th secondary feather on its left wing (counting from the body outward) which quite positively identifed it as Pride. Later, when I looked at the photos I also noticed that a string or monofilament line was trailing about one foot behind his tail. It may originate on his leg or foot.

It may just be a harmless entangled plant fiber, but Ground observers should look closely to see whether some fishing line may be entangled on Pride's feet.

These were the best photos I obtained: