MAY 1: Update from Pelican Harbor

Latest update with photo from Pelican Harbor Seabird Station

"As some of you may have heard, the remainder of the nest in Pembroke Pines has collapsed. Authorities searched for the fallen eaglet, but unfortunately it was unable to be found. As heartbroken as we are to hear this, we are grateful that the other eaglet is still safely in our care. Since it has been determined that renesting our eaglet in an artificial nest is not a possibility, it will be transferred to @auduboncbop to continue its rehabilitation journey alongside a dozen other juvenile eagles!"

Pelican Harbor Seabird Station

Audubon Center: Birds of Prey

Re: MAY 1: Update from Pelican Harbor

naturegirl
Why can't an artifical nest be built, you can make one out of steel and attach to tree like was done for an owlet by ohio rescue. This has been done many times over the years and could be done for eagles. Unless it's determined parents have gone not sure why this wouldn't be an option. Also will the eaglet be released intot he wild or snatched by zoos ?

Re: MAY 1: Update from Pelican Harbor

JesseG8r
I wondered if they'd considered moving it back to the old nest a couple hundred yards west. The male still feeds there, and it appears to be in very good shape. It's been a successful nest for a decade.

Re: MAY 1: Update from Pelican Harbor

KellyHeffernan Proj Perch
Project Perch's heart goes out to the Eagle Forum and this Eaglet!!!

Owlets and eaglets need help to survive in a man-altered urban environment.  Project Perch just helped rescue an owlet who lost a foot to duct tape.  There are just so many problems to overcome.

I'm learning that in S Florida, non-native invasive trees and cell phone towers are all the eagles have left.  These trees aren't designed like native pines to hold up an eagle nest, they sway in the storms and are really meant to be in Australia.  And so another eagle nest has failed.  It's heartbraking to watch.

Luckily, one eaglet was found by this group!  The members of the forum and their leader, who watch over this eagle nest and help the eagles any way they can have saved this eaglet!  At least all is not lost.  Thanks to all of you and Peli Harbor, this eaglet gets a second chance at life and someday this eaglet will heal, grow up, gain flight and be released back into the Florida sky.

Thank You!!!  Pride and Jewel thank you!!!!

Re: MAY 1: Update from Pelican Harbor

In reply to Naturegirl, my understanding is that the first eaglet, if it continues to do well, will be released into the wild by the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey. They have flight cages which permit the juvenile eagles to perfect their flight skills so they are at much less risk when they take their first free flight. I do know that some birds which are too impaired to survive in the wild have been used for educational purposes, but am not aware that they send any healthy birds to zoos.

As for creating an artificial nest, my feeling is that the eagles are quite site-specific and might utilize one. The failed nest is about 80 feet above ground and not accessible by a bucket truck unless a new road were to be cut through the woodlands. A pole with a platform would need to be ridiculously tall and strong, and would entail much disturbance and expense even if feasible. A pole could not have guide line supports as these would pose a hazard to flying birds.

I think they abandoned their previous nest because it was low down and overgrown with other exotic trees such as Melaleuca. They had to fly through obstacles to reach the nest and it did not provide a view of the surroundings. Eagles prefer to occupy the highest tree in their territory.  I wonder if they might return to the old nest if the impinging trees could be removed around the perimeter of the nest. Might be worth exploring, but not feasible this season. I wonder what the experts might think of this. It is on City property and they have been supportive of protection for the nest and residents are proud of their local eagles.

Re: MAY 1: Update from Pelican Harbor

naturegirl
Thanks Ken for the clarification and update