MAY 10: Update on condition of second rescued eaglet

MAY 10: Update on condition of second rescued eaglet

The older eaglet, the presumed female (P Piney 26) grounded on April 28 and rescued May 1, is being treated and rehabilitated at Pelican Harbor Seabird Station.  Her condition is stable and she is feeding herself. Being treated for low hematocrit and hookworms. Planning to transfer to Audubon facility in Maitland Florida, where the younger eaglet is also being treated.

MORE Re: MAY 10: Update on condition of second rescued eaglet

Just learned that yesterday (May 10) the older eaglet (P Piney 26) was transferred to Florida Audubon Birds of Prey Center in Maitland, joining her sibling (P Piney 27) there.

Re: MORE Re: MAY 10: Update on condition of second rescued eaglet

NotToofast
Thank you so much Dr. Ken!! That's good news!

Re: MORE Re: MAY 10: Update on condition of second rescued eaglet

Hi Ken,

Do you think they will try again this season?

Re: MORE Re: MAY 10: Update on condition of second rescued eaglet

Kit, I do hope the adults will return next breeding season. Maybe they will use the original nest which is overgrown with vines and Melaleuca trees.

We are working on a plan to clear an area around the old nest but this requires careful review, approval  and cooperation of various parties. When something solidifies we will let everyone know.

Re: MORE Re: MAY 10: Update on condition of second rescued eaglet

Rockitglider
Okay Ken,

Thanks for the update, I hope it all works out well for them and the clearing sounds good and is something I have thought of as well, but it was for my benefit mostly to get better shots from twigs and stray branches in the way, but nothing that would interfere with their nesting and could be a help to them but that is hard to determine. It is hard to know what they are thinking or wanting.