MAY 26: Sad news about the youngest eaglet P Piney 27

MAY 26: Sad news about the youngest eaglet P Piney 27

The Audubon Center for Birds of Prey in Maitland, Florida released this statement about P Piney 27, the first eaglet to fall from the nest at the age of about 5 weeks on April 18:

“The Audubon Center For Birds of Prey is saddened to report that the first eaglet rescued from the Pembroke Pines nest had to be humanely euthanized due to the severity of her injuries and lack of response to treatment. These difficult decisions are not made lightly and are discussed with a consulting vet and US Fish and Wildlife to determine what is best for the bird and their future quality of life. While this is not the outcome we all hoped for, we are grateful to those who watched this nest and helped rescue this young bird when her nest collapsed. The prognosis for the sibling who also has a wing fracture is still uncertain, but we are doing our best to give it every opportunity to heal and get a second chance at life. We appreciate your support and understanding.”

This was my first photo of P Piney 27, on March 18, exactly one month before he (we assumed a male because of its slower growth and passive behavior in the nest) fell from the nest. He was probably a little over one week old at this time:

This was my last photo of him with his older and larger (presumed) sister in the nest, on April 7:

Re: MAY 26: Sad news about the youngest eaglet P Piney 27

NotToofast
Really sad news. Not the outcome we all hoped for. In any case thanks to the Audubon Society, The Pelican Harbor and to all volunteers, conservationists and nature lovers for trying to give this baby a second chance. Our thoughts are with the sibling now. Hope s(he) can get thru this and make a full recovery.

Re: MAY 26: Sad news about the youngest eaglet P Piney 27

naturegirl
Oh no and that was a quick rescue. Please keep us updated on the second eaglet as there are many pulling for her recovery