Miramar Eagles (DA005 Nest) Apr 4-7 Visit. Bad News....

Miramar Eagles (DA005 Nest) Apr 4-7 Visit. Bad News....

NotToofast
Visited Nest on Sunday April 4...Both Eaglets seen contemplating ahead,

living their normal in the nest...

Both eaglets active, looking healthy

Enjoying the view that the location of the nest affords

One of them branching...

Here a Close up of Eaglet 1

...and a close up of Eaglet 2

However, in todays visit there is something wrong...Only one eaglet..

Alone ...while the other seems to lie lifeless in the nest.....

Saw one of the adults arrive...normally this one goes straight to the nest and then perches on a  nearby tall tree ...This time though it went first to the tree and paused there looking to void...It never came down to the nest...

Here a pic of the surviving Eaglet...

Re: Miramar Eagles (DA005 Nest) Apr 4-7 Visit. Bad News....

Jorge, this would be very bad news but also very unusual. Only something like poisoning or serious injury would be expected to kill an older eaglet in the nest.

Can you be sure it was the body of a dead eaglet? Could it have been prey remains? It is not unusual for a newly-fledged eaglet to  disappear for a day or two-- or even three days as we had happen. Time will tell.

If so, hunger will drive the eaglet to return to the nest as that is the only way the adults can efficiently feed more than one. They will continue to drop prey in the nest. Even if it does not have great flight power, the eaglet can "ladder" up from low branches to ever taller ones to reach the nest.

Here's hoping

Re: Miramar Eagles (DA005 Nest) Apr 4-7 Visit. Bad News....

NotToofast
Hello Ken!
I was wrong and you were right and I love it!!
Yes, both eaglets are fine...both making unauthorized short excursions out of the nest...I saw both at the same time in the nest so no doubts..but it was a lucky sight...It is going to be very difficult to see them if not in the nest...In any case I am very happy the whole family is alive and well!
Best Regards!;

Jorge, this would be very bad news but also very unusual. Only something like poisoning or serious injury would be expected to kill an older eaglet in the nest.

Can you be sure it was the body of a dead eaglet? Could it have been prey remains? It is not unusual for a newly-fledged eaglet to  disappear for a day or two-- or even three days as we had happen. Time will tell.

If so, hunger will drive the eaglet to return to the nest as that is the only way the adults can efficiently feed more than one. They will continue to drop prey in the nest. Even if it does not have great flight power, the eaglet can "ladder" up from low branches to ever taller ones to reach the nest.

Here's hoping

To start a new topic under LOCAL BALD EAGLE SIGHTINGS AWAY FROM KNOWN NESTS, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.
NAML