Monday, 5-4-07 5:45pm to 6:30pm, babies fed

Monday, 5-4-07 5:45pm to 6:30pm, babies fed

Mike Fossler
When I arrived at 5:45pm one of the juveniles was eating something the parent eagle brought to the nest while the parent stood on a branch over the nest looking down. Soon the parent dropped down to the nest and ate some of the food and also seemed to take it apart more for the young eagle. The young eagle screeched for a while during all this and shortly thereafter the other sibling arrived at the nest and ate also. After eating, the second juvenile flew off and seemed to go to the "east perch" Lou mentioned as being a new favorite place. All the while the parent sat a branch or two above the nest and watched both eat after she/he had dissected the meal.

Re: Monday, 5-4-07 5:45pm to 6:30pm, babies fed

Kelly Smith
Wonderful pictures!  It appears that the nest is still a very valuable resource for the family.  I wonder how many of these feedings could have been missed by observers, given that the action at the nest has diminished along with the hours of coverage by observers.  Does anyone know what sort of digging occurred along the south of Pines in front of the nest?  I noticed that the ground seemed to have been disturbed and smoothed over again last week and was wondering if construction of the traffic light had commenced.

Re: Monday, 5-4-07 5:45pm to 6:30pm, babies fed

Kelly Smith
Never mind - I looked back and located the posts that described the construction in progress.  It is really great to have this as a resource!

Re: Monday, 5-4-07 5:45pm to 6:30pm, babies fed

Mike Fossler
Underground conduit and concrete pull boxes was installed last week for a flashing school zone signal forthcoming. If you look directly across the street from the nest (north side of Pines) you will see a similar one existing. It is all tied back to the light and controller being put in at 209 street at the west "pull-in" spot in front of the malalluca strand. MF

Re: Monday, 5-4-07 5:45pm to 6:30pm, babies fed

Randy
Mike.
Great pictures, what type of lens are you using?
Thanks,
Randy

Sigma 50-500mm zoom
Canon 40D

Re: Monday, 5-4-07 5:45pm to 6:30pm, babies fed

Mike Fossler
Sigma 50-500mm zoom
Canon 40D
These shots handheld - not as sharp as they could have been with a tripod/shutter release cable.

Re: Monday, 5-4-07 5:45pm to 6:30pm, babies fed

These are excellent images, Mike!

You might consider posting them on the Hancock Wildlife Channel site under "Nests with ground observers-> Pembroke Pines"

Link to Hancock Channel

Re: Monday, 5-4-07 5:45pm to 6:30pm, babies fed

AquaLou
Excellent pictures, Mike.  I've been out of town 3 days, and was thrilled to see your photos upon my return last night.  I think many of us feel its just a matter of a week or so, or maybe even days, until Hope and Justice will strike out on their own and the adults will also be gone.  Keep up the good work with your terrific photography.
Lou

Re: Monday, 5-4-07 5:45pm to 6:30pm, babies fed

Mike Fossler
Thanks Lou. Yes, it does seem like it could be any minute now - but I'm sure it won't be until we see the babies kill something themselves. I would love to see them return with something on their own, and if they do you can be sure I'll try to get some photos! MF