Nest Visit 5-12-2021

Rockitglider
Hello,

I went to the nest and didn't see any eagles at all, so it looks like they are gone for the season possibly. I'll do a couple of spot checks here and there, but the nest is no longer in the tree anymore, not even a little part of it, it is completely gone now. So Good Luck to those two eaglets I hope they make it through their first year and go on to have their own families some day.

Re: Nest Visit 5-12-2021

Stylechick60
Awe thank you for the update, Kit !

 I am glad the nest made it through For as long as it did!!!

Fly free eaglets and be safe and make many babies ❤️🦅🦅🦅🦅

Thank you everyone for the photos on the family.   One day I was thinking of names for the parents and I thought of Abe and Betsy ..... just a thought 🙂

Sent from my iPhone

On May 13, 2021, at 11:24 AM, Rockitglider [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Hello,

I went to the nest and didn't see any eagles at all, so it looks like they are gone for the season possibly. I'll do a couple of spot checks here and there, but the nest is no longer in the tree anymore, not even a little part of it, it is completely gone now. So Good Luck to those two eaglets I hope they make it through their first year and go on to have their own families some day.

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Nest-Visit-5-12-2021-tp7576211.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: Nest Visit 5-12-2021

Stephanie5056
Good morning all. I just drove past the area where the nest is an angel by a dead bird in the street. There was too much traffic stop. Is there a way that anyone could drive by and see if it is one of the eagles ? I pray it is not

On Thu, May 13, 2021 at 1:55 PM Stylechick60 [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Nest-Visit-5-12-2021-tp7576211p7576212.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Nest Visit 5-12-2021

Rockitglider
Hello,

The bird if I got the right one was a waterbird with long clack legs and brown & wite feathers and a long neck too. I pulled it out of the road so some other birds wouldn't get hurt trying to take it to eat. So all is good. I always try to check road killings if I can, just in case. Bald Eagles are supposed to be reported if found on the road dead. I found a dead bird in Delray heading to Wakodahatchee and thought it looked like an eagle, but it turned out to be a Mottled duck.

Re: Nest Visit 5-12-2021

LuliTallulah
Thank you so much for checking and moving the deceased bird.

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Nest-Visit-5-12-2021-tp7576211p7576215.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.

Re: Nest Visit 5-12-2021

Stylechick60
Yes, that was nice of you, Kit.  It sounds like maybe it was a limpkin bird ....

Sent from my iPhone

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Nest-Visit-5-12-2021-tp7576211p7576218.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: Nest Visit 5-12-2021

Rockitglider
Hello all,

I kinda looked like a Limpkin, but  haven't seen a Limpkin around as long as the Snail Kites have been gone due to the loss of the apple snails, which I think the fish & wildlife or someone exterminated them, but I don't know that for sure. I know the were invasive but if another species likes to feed on them and would keep them in check it seems okay to let them stay. The snail Kites are almost gone now, and they haven't been around in Delray for the last 2 years and I really miss them. Snail Kites are really beautiful birds. Here's a couple of shots from Delray 2018.

Re: Nest Visit 5-12-2021

Stylechick60
Good morning 🌞

Nice photos.  I live on a canal in Deerfield and we have limpkins here. They are very vocal squawky birds.
 I will have to keep my eyes open for a snail kite.  👀

Tammie

Sent from my iPad

Re: Nest Visit 5-12-2021

Stephanie5056
Beautiful

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Nest-Visit-5-12-2021-tp7576211p7576220.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: Nest Visit 5-12-2021

Stylechick60
I drive by the nest today.   Where do the Eagles go when the little birds leave the nest?
North?

Sent from my iPhone

On May 15, 2021, at 6:58 AM, Tammie Rayburn <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Our south Florida adult Bald Eagles are said to wander in the general area of the nest. Without banding or tracking information we cannot say for certain how widely they may travel, but we have seen adults here many times during the summer.

The eaglets, once they are independent, usually fly north, especially along the Atlantic coast. They may even get up to Chesapeake Bay. One immature from Palm Beach County was tracked into Maine and may have briefly crossed into Canada. They return to South Florida in late autumn or early winter. They may visit their old nests but usually are not welcomed by their parents.

Less experienced eaglets benefit as fish are easier to catch up north and they are closer to the surface when the water is cool and rich in oxygen.

The babies are generally called "Juveniles" their first year, then simply  "Immatures" until they are "Adults" when about 4-5 years old, based upon when they attain full adult plumage.

Re: Nest Visit 5-12-2021

Stylechick60
Wow. Very interesting!!
Thank you, Ken.

Funny how wild life is so different with their offspring than people are.

Tammie

Sent from my iPhone

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Nest-Visit-5-12-2021-tp7576211p7576224.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: Nest Visit 5-12-2021

naturegirl
Thank you Kit and Ken for the updates.