New Nest Tree for Quiet Waters Eagles

Rockitglider
The Eagles at Quiet Waters Park have built a new nest from scratch in a different tree, 3 trees to the SW of the old tree from last year, I think it's a better choice a little further away from the Bike traffic. The nest is huge now, I wasn't sure if it was going to come about at first but they got busy and before I knew it there was a huge nest for their new season. I'm looking forward to a new set of chicks for this pair. We have to think of names for these two, I watch them often and have gotten to know their personalities a little, and I really have become attached to them, and I think they are very fond of each other as well, if any one has suggestions for names lets try to give them fitting names. I can tell the two apart well now, besides the fact that she's bigger, she also has darker eyes, and an inverted V shape to her head feathers just under her bill or beak, his head feathers are more jagged at the bottom and his eyes are brighter than hers. Enjoy these shots of the new nest.

Edit: Forgot to say I saw them mating on Saturday morning, but didn't get it on film, then after that they started adding sticks to the nest and sometimes disputing where that stick should go. No eggs yet! as of today.

Rockitglider

On the new nest

Re: New Nest Tree for Quiet Waters Eagles

Rockitglider
Here's a video of the nest when it just started out and it was real windy, she was holding it down while he brought sticks to add., I didn't even know where the new location was yet I got there before sunrise and saw one of them flying with a stick and that's how I found the new site.

Rockitglider

https://youtu.be/SXKcahcwDcY

Re: New Nest Tree for Quiet Waters Eagles

Nice video! I would have been a bit concerned that the nest seemed to be built on only two supporting branches. Three or more would be more stable in a windstorm. Maybe I am not seeing at least a third branch in this view. Your photos show a much more substantial build which may answer my concern. Excellent engineering on their part!

Re: New Nest Tree for Quiet Waters Eagles

Rockitglider
Hi Ken,

I was thinking the same thing, this was during the time when we were having a lot of tropical activity and it made me very concerned. That one large area that had a big opening between the branches seemed un able to support the whole side of the nest. But they pulled it off.

Kit

Re: New Nest Tree for Quiet Waters Eagles

Kit--

It would have been interesting to see a time lapse video of how the nest construction proceeded. The initial stage on the left side almost seemed to create a stable "footing" to allow longer and heavier branches to span the gap to the more secure fork over on the right side, serving as the "foundation." Hope it meets the Bald Eagle "building code."

Re: New Nest Tree for Quiet Waters Eagles

Speechykeane
Great pictures and video..  Thank you!!  I noticed the new nest a while back, by accident..  it seemed so small that I was also worried.  Looks like they know what they are doing though!  Crossing my fingers for some new babies..

Re: New Nest Tree for Quiet Waters Eagles

naturegirl
Is there any update on the Deerfield Nest Has anyone been there recently are there confirmed chicks?

Re: New Nest Tree for Quiet Waters Eagles

Rockitglider
Hello,

I was there last weekend and I saw 1 chick, I couldn't get a picture though, but as soon as I can I will and I will post it here, here's a couple of shots of the parents busy with their duties. Enjoy

Re: New Nest Tree for Quiet Waters Eagles

naturegirl
So they have a chick excellent.  Is it possible to see the nest from inside the park?

Re: New Nest Tree for Quiet Waters Eagles

Rockitglider
It's better from the highway, they won't let anyone in the park, these pics were taken from 10th street

Re: New Nest Tree for Quiet Waters Eagles

naturegirl
Oh ok so I should try to pull off at the corner of 10th and turnpike ? I live like 5 mins from the park so would be easier then traveling upstate to see eagles