OPPOSE the deliberate killing of bald eagles

OPPOSE the deliberate killing of bald eagles

Barbara Walker forwarded this e-mail and asked "Please forward widely."  It makes a good case for respecting the rights of Indian tribes and at the same time protecting Bald (and Golden) Eagles. This policy shift opens a Pandora's Box for tribes all over our Nation to short-circuit established legal protections. Ken

OPPOSE the deliberate killing of bald eagles

The USFWS has issued a permit to Northern Arapaho Tribe to kill 2 bald eagles for religious purposes.  This NY Daily News article sums the issue up well. http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/northern-arapaho-indian-tribe-kill-bald-eagles-article-1.1038792

Please write letters to USFWS and comment on their blog. Make sure to ask for a copy of the permit application and the permit.  Also, ask the agency if they have knowledge of this being done without permits.  They really need to receive lots of public comment.  They say the eagles are protected unfortunately it does not appear so.

Daniel M. Ashe, Director
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service

U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
1849 C Street, NW
Washington, DC 20240

 And/Or,

2.   Access a USFWS blog site concerning this subject at http://www.fws.gov/news/blog/index.cfm?reint=1 and add your comments about this issue

This will be the gist of my letter to USFWS, scroll down to see the AEF comments as well.

I feel that the permit issued by USFWS should be cancelled by USFWS or invalidated by the judicial branch.  Governmental agencies can’t permit illegal activities.  When permits are granted to power companies, or developers they are covered for incidental take of an eagle.   That means the landowner or other entity is conducting a normal activity otherwise considered legal. Purposefully killing and eagle is illegal.

Are we as a country going to allow every religion to do anything they want even if it is illegal because of their religious beliefs?  Purposely killing, persecution, is one of the reasons the eagle ended up on the endangered list in the first place.  Didn’t we learn anything from that or is history just doomed to repeat itself?

This decision may also encourage other people to take/shoot eagles as this decision devalues them and dilutes the protections they are currently afforded.  What is the incidence of this occurring in a non-permitted fashion?

Ironically, if you even so much as browse news about eagles you’ll see USFWS is quoted as saying eagles are protected.  I can say for sure, that the two eagles which will be sacrificed aren’t.

I would like to know how they will be killed and I would like to see a copy of the permit application and the permit. I believe this information should be available to me under the Freedom of Information Act.

The American Eagle Foundation http://www.eagles.org

Below are some comments from the AEF.  AEF encourages citizens to write letters to USFWS. Please see comments below.

The AEF of course does NOT agree with that permit.  AEF President Al Cecere appeared March 15, on the “Fox and Friends” national TV program in NYC  in order to state why such permit should not be issued,  You can  see the video of that program at http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/fox-friends/index.html#/v/1510268168001/permit-to-kill-an-american-symbol/?playlist_id=86912.

The USFWS already provides adequate means for Native Americans to acquire feathers and other Bald Eagle body parts from its National Eagle Repository (click here) in Colorado.  This USFWS policy is further explained in their web site, “How Can I Obtain Eagle Feathers and Other Parts” (click here).  The AEF collects all feathers, that are annually molted from its 45 non-releasable educational and captive-breeding eagles, and sends them annually to the USFWS repository.  Likewise, any eagles that die at AEF are promptly placed in a freezer for sending intact to the repository.

AEF has several concerns about a tribal permit to kill Bald Eagles.  Such tribal permits would expand to include Golden Eagles, resulting in demands for killing both species by individuals from many tribes.  Even though we believe the majority of Native Americans would consider the eagle too sacred for killing for religious purposes, there are also many who may demand equal rights to such a permit.  The Bald Eagle has been a symbol of this nation since 1782, which in itself should be reason enough not to issue a governmental permit to kill them.

We encourage you to send your comments to  the USFWS Director in Washington, DC, as AEF is also doing...[See contact information above]

It was not the U.S. President who issued this permit for killing of our National Symbol.  However, it would be good to also express your concerns to him.

Thanks again for your interest in this important issue.  Feel free to pass on this message to your interested friends and your many conservation contacts for similar action.

Bob Hatcher

AEF Eagle Consultant and Correspondent; and
Retired Tennessee Endangered Wildlife Coordinator (1978 - 2001)
Brentwood, TN 37027
EagleMail@eagles.org or hatcher2@bellsouth.net

RE: OPPOSE the deliberate killing of bald eagles

barbibird

Thanks Ken. Any word on how Audubon Chapters are positioning for the wind turbines proposed in Belle Glade?

Barb

[...]

[hidden email] or [hidden email]

Ken Schneider
Web site: http://rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com

This email was sent by NewMexiKen (via Nabble)
To receive all replies by email, subscribe to this discussion