Please support efforts to prevent destruction and development of nest site

Please support efforts to prevent destruction and development of nest site

Angelo Castillo, Commissioner, City of Pembroke Pines writes an empassioned plea to save the eagle nest area from development. The Bald Eagles have nested there since at least 2007 and have produced over 30 eaglets, of which more than 21 are known to have survived to fly freely. Please respond to his request for emais to the other City leaders in support of saving the area as a permanent wildlife preserve. If possible, plan to attend the April 6th City Commission meeting to voice your opposition.

From the Facebook Page "Pride and Jewel Bald Eagles of Pembroke Pines"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/6388385571236147

Re: Please support efforts to prevent destruction and development of nest site

Rockitglider
Hi Ken,

I have sent an email to all of those people that you listed, I will try to attend, but If I can't I have asked that my email be part of our voices to be heard at this meeting. Thanks for the heads up about this, and I hope that they listen to us regarding the nesting eagles in the Tri County area. I expressed that if anything we need more nests not fewer, and hopefully they will make this a preserved educational area for the next generation to learn about our countries national bird!

Re: Please support efforts to prevent destruction and development of nest site

Rockitglider
Hi Ken,

I got a reply from F. Ortis from Pembroke Pines right away, and he agrees, and thanked me for sending the email. So please at least everyone try to send the email if you can't make it to the meeting.

Edsit: It's a little hard to read the picture Ken posted in the original thread, but if you download it as an image it makes it easier to read on your PC.

Re: Please support efforts to prevent destruction and development of nest site

That's good news, Kit. Right from the beginning, Mayor Frank Ortis has been a strong supporter of making the nest area an official Bald Eagle sanctuary. In 2009, less than two years after the nest was "discovered," Mayor Ortis appointed a Bald Eagle Steering Committee (on which I served) to work with city and state agencies to reduce hazards to the eagles, improve public safety and act to preserve the nest area property.

See: Pembroke Pines City Commission Initiates Action to Formally Protect the Eagle Nest (August 18, 2010)

Re: Please support efforts to prevent destruction and development of nest site

Following is text of letter from South Florida Audubon Society, with copies to all Commissioners:

April 4, 2022

To The City of Pembroke Pines City Commission:

South Florida Audubon Society (SFAS) continues to support the Eagles of
Pembroke Pines and is in favor of Commissioner Castillo’s possible action to
designate as a permanent nature preserve 22 acres of city owned land located
South of Pines Blvd. and West of 208th Avenue, popularly known as the area
where bald eagles nest.

The SFAS Board and Advisory Committee are unanimously in favor of
Commissioner Castillo’s item on your Commission agenda for April 6, 2022,
Please feel free to contact us if we can be of further assistance.
Sincerely,

Doug Young, COO
South Florida Audubon Society
FWC – Marine Turtle Permit Holder
Member, Florida Shore and Beach Preservation Association
dyoung@southfloridaaudubon.org
954-232-1956
www.southfloridaaudubon.org

R. David Walker