Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

NewMexiKen
Administrator
This post was updated on .
An observer provided this information about a possible eagle nest in the vicinity of Oakes Rd & Rt 441. Excerpts of the message and a Google map with red marker are at bottom of this post.

As Ospreys often nest on the towers we should try to confirm identity  of species with photos if possible.

Can any of our Members get over there and report back?. It could be the second new Broward County eagle nest this breeding season.

From US 441, turn west on Oakes Rd and follow it to turn right  on SW 49th Way to north end:

This is the approximate location of the cell tower:

Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

NotToofast
Nice catch!...This couple chose a very distinctive place to set up the nest...looks there is plenty of fish and vermin in the surroundings to feed the off-springs!

Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

naturegirl
Does anyone know how this pair is doing ?

Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

NewMexiKen
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Laura reported that the eaglet was flying high and free on March 30.

UPDATE Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

NewMexiKen
Administrator
If this pair returns to nest in the coming breeding season I will set up a link for it in this FORUM,

See  this post which most likely reports a sighting of one of the adults from this nest:

Eagle spotted near 595 and turnpike

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Eagle-spotted-near-595-and-turnpike-tp7576237.html

RE: UPDATE Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

Laura Lodge
Hi. Ill have to try to get back up there to check the nest again to see if the Eagles and eaglet are present.
When does the new breeding season start?

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Re: UPDATE Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

NewMexiKen
Administrator
Hi, Laura--

The official breeding season starts October 1.

I wonder if the nest was removed from the cell tower. Since they
normally add to the old nest each year it could really cause a problem
if left up there.

On 5/29/2021 8:24 AM, Laura Lodge [via Bald Eagles of Broward County,
Florida] wrote:
> Hi. Ill have to try to get back up there to check the nest again to
> see if the Eagles and eaglet are present.
> When does the new breeding season start?
>

> Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Re: UPDATE Re: Possible Bald Eagle Nest NW of Oakes Rd & 441 in Davie

Rockitglider
This is great! I was hoping for new eagles to nest further south of PB, I think with all of the success the other nests are having it will get crowded north of the big lake and more will come south. I hope this happens.

Rockitglider
AKA: Kit O.
Nature Photographer, Model rocket builder, designer and flyer
Remote Control Gliders & Rocket powered Gliders as a hobby,
AUTOCAD engineer professionally for Fire Alarm Systems in Ft. Lauderdale Itnl. Airport (FLL) & PBIA as well.
Website: http://img.gg/a7WNYUF