Question for Ken and others about first flight

Question for Ken and others about first flight

Trisha
I'm wondering if there is any data or details about how to recognize the seconds before first flight away from the nest. Is an adult usually present and watching? Is the adult involved in coaxing them from the nest? Is the flight usually accompanied by vocalizing from either the young or adults? Is it usually just one initial flight and how far? Do they need a stiff breeze for first time success? I guess it could be different with each situation, but I just wondered if anyone has any insight on how to predict the happening other than the obvious. I wish I had thought to talk to Lynda about it when she was here.

Re: Question for Ken and others about first flight

Hi, Trisha,

I really don't know. In other nests I have seen, the eaglets went out on
the branches and spent several days actually flying in place, for long
periods of time. The older chick is doing this now, but in the nest. By
copy of this, I am asking Lynda: Is it a regular pattern for the chick
to "branch" for a time before attempting free flight?

Ken Schneider
Miramar, Florida & North Aurora, Illinois

Web site: http://www.rosyfinch.com
Eagle Nest: http://www.rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com
Photos: http://flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch

"Openness to the natural world and our response to it lie at the core of what we do and why we do it." (Fr. Tom Pincelli)

Trisha (via Nabble) - No Reply wrote:

> I'm wondering if there is any data or details about how to recognize
> the seconds before first flight away from the nest. Is an adult
> usually present and watching? Is the adult involved in coaxing them
> from the nest? Is the flight usually accompanied by vocalizing from
> either the young or adults? Is it usually just one initial flight and
> how far? Do they need a stiff breeze for first time success? I guess
> it could be different with each situation, but I just wondered if
> anyone has any insight on how to predict the happening other than the
> obvious. I wish I had thought to talk to Lynda about it when she was
> here.

Re: Question for Ken and others about first flight

Trisha
Thanks Ken...we can look for the branching to occur before just taking off from the nest. It seems like they are going to have to perch a little on the diagonal as the only real horizontal branch I can see is the one above the nest that 1 of the adults used to perch in when the young were little. Maybe there are some smaller ones somewhere that aren't visible, at least here's hoping.....