Rainy Thursday afternoon

Trisha
When I arrived about 2 pm only 1 eaglet was visible standing up on the right side of the nest. One adult was in its favorite spot on the dead tree down to the right and actually remained there for the full 3 hrs I was there. It spent a lot of time fluffing and preening as the rain kept coming in spurts and then the adults and young would spend the time between showers preening.

When I returned to the nest from watching the adult both eaglets were up high, very active, exercising their wings and moving around the nest. It would have been a somewhat boring day of watching except for the activity of the larger eaglet right before I left. It moved by flapping its wings (but not going any higher than the top of the nest)way over to the extreme left. It was up on the very top of the nest rim, such that I could clearly see its very orange feet carefully wrapping around the sticks that make up the rim. Finally it seemed to be comfortable and as it held on to the sticks it leaned over such that its head was below its feet. It then seemed to be clearly looking down at the ground. Sometimes it would come back level and rearrange its feet on other sticks.....but WAY out on the edge and then repeat the same stare down at the ground, sometimes turning or cocking its head as it peered below. One can only imagine those eagle thoughts!

I never did see the other adult but the rain had stopped and the sky was clearing as I left around 5 pm.
When I left both eaglets were down low in the nest with only their heads and backs showing.

Re: Rainy Thursday afternoon

Jill W
Trisha wrote
 Finally it seemed to be comfortable and as it held on to the sticks it leaned over such that its head was below its feet. It then seemed to be clearly looking down at the ground. Sometimes it would come back level and rearrange its feet on other sticks.....but WAY out on the edge and then repeat the same stare down at the ground, sometimes turning or cocking its head as it peered below. One can only imagine those eagle thoughts!
Wow, I hope one of the thoughts was that it's a long way down there,  we better be careful.

Your reports are always so interesting, Trisha.

Jill

Re: Rainy Thursday afternoon

Trisha
Thanks Jill...that is exactly the thought I had. I also was praying that the sticks that were supporting the whole action were strong. I love reading your excellent reports also!