Saturday 2:30-7 nest watching

Jill W
From 2:30 until 4, there was only one chick standing up and visible.  At 4, an adult flew in with food and then both chicks were up and eating.  The adult stayed on the nest for only 5 minutes.  The chicks continued to eat for quite a while.
At 4:10, a lady asked me for permission to take a picture of the nest
I bungie corded a tripod with the spotting scope to the "no parking" sign because I knew that there would be many young people there today and I wouldn't be able to protect both my camera and the scope tripods from being tripped on or bumped into resulting in equipment falling to the ground.  I had a step ladder for the short children and adults to be able to see through the scope.  Except for having to refocus the scope frequently (seems it's just instinct for people to want to grab and pull at the scope at first), it worked out very well.
There was another feeding at 5:35, and again, the adult did not stay on the nest for more than 5 minutes.
My pictures turned out much better today and I don't have a clue why.  The only thing I can think of is that I wear a contact lens in my right eye only.  My left eye does the close-up work like reading the phone book.  Today, I tried to use both eyes and compromise to focus the camera.
I tried to post this a few minutes ago, with two pictures, but the pictures were not right, so I deleted the post and started again without the pictures.
Jill

Re: Saturday 2:30-7 nest watching

Kelly Smith
That is such a wonderful thing you do for the little ones - bringing step stool for them to look at the scope, even when you know they are going to grab that scope out of adjustment!  It really does help those who have a hard time with the binoculars, and the kids really seem to know what a special opportunity this is for them.