Saw the adult today; but, no baby

tczig
I have been watching this nest since 2009 and am happy to see the eagles are back again this year.  I have been out to the nest twice this season.  One time, I saw both parents over on that asphalt area west of the nest.  Today, I saw one parent on the nest, but no baby.  I really just wanted to comment on the photographs you guys have been taking -- they are AWESOME.  I would love to know what kind of lens you are using to get those closeups of the baby eating.  Fantastic!  If I can figure out how, I will attach my photos from today - though they are shameful in comparison to your photographs
.

Re: Saw the adult today; but, no baby

Wow! Those photos are sharp! You also found a nice vantage point.

We had to be quite patient to see the eaglet. Maybe with the wind blowing so much it is keeping low. It tends to be on the far side of the nest.

I will be concerned if no one sees the eaglet tomorrow, so eagle watchers, please report negative observations. If it falls out of the nest at this age it cannot get back up and will die of starvation, or, more likely, be killed by a predator. We would call FWC to recover a downed chick, but must be sure before doing that. Listen for its calls-- it was quite vocal-- very high-pitched thin short whistling sounds:
"Peee, weeeee, weeeee..."

FYI:
My gear:

Canon EOS 60D 18 MP Digital SLR Camera
420 MM lens system:
Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Telephoto Lens
Canon EF 1.4X II Extender
Monopod

Re: Saw the adult today; but, no baby

tczig
Hi Ken,

I took advantage of the wind; that's why I went out today.  Half my photos are of that tree!!  But, when it blew to the side, I could see the parent so clear.

I thought that about the baby too - maybe something happened to him.  Last year, I took a shot of the parent (I can't tell the male from the female) chasing off a vulture who got too close to the nest - so I hope that wasn't the case with this baby.  I hope he is ok.  And, I wonder why there is only one; in past years, there have been 2, and even 3 in 2010.

I was there for about half an hour at 12:30.  I studied all my photographs carefully and there is no sign whatsoever of the baby. The parent stayed there the entire time.  Usually, I just see her come, feed them, then leave and sit on the tree to the left, or by those stick-trees to the right.

I hope someone sees the baby tomorrow.

I love this forum!  I'm glad I found it.

Julie

[...]

Ken Schneider
Web site: http://rosyfinch.com
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Saw-the-adult-today-but-no-baby-tp7350460p7350555.html
To unsubscribe from Saw the adult today; but, no baby, click here.

Re: Saw the adult today; but, no baby

Mike Fossler
Lens and techniques used:

Canon 400mm L f5.6 Lens

I have used this lens alone or with 1.4x, 2x, or both in series, teleconverters! When using this lens with teleconverters, all focusing is MANUAL.

Used on a cropped sized APS-C size sensored camera (Canon 40D) which gives a full-frame equivalent lens "reach" of 1.6x the value or 640mm(400mm alone), 896mm(400mm +1.4xTC), 1280mm(400mm + 2xTC) and 1792mm(400mm + 1.4xTC + 2xTC).

Most important - all photos taken with a tripod and camera actuated with a remote shutter release to minimize camera movement. Most times I also engage the "mirror lock-up" function to further reduce the effects of camera movement. Usually I'll watch the nest with binoculars and press the remote controller when I see what I like thru the binoculars (so I don't have to be sitting with my face against the back of my camera the whole time!)

Hope this helps!

Re: Saw the adult today; but, no baby

tczig
Thanks for the info!  You lost me after the word "telecoverters"!  Ha ha.  Waaay out of my league!  I have a beat-up old Canon and only a 200 lens.  I had figured you were using some kind of professional set-up.

Thanks!!

Julie

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/Saw-the-adult-today-but-no-baby-tp7350460p7355492.html
To unsubscribe from Saw the adult today; but, no baby, click here.

Re: Saw the adult today; but, no baby

Mike Fossler
Not to despair, your photos are just fine!

Photographing wildlife at these distances, under some of the "swaying-tree" conditions we are presented with, is no simple foolproof task!