Sunday Morning May 31

I was able to observe the nest only briefly, for 30 minutes or so, a little after 7:00 AM. When I arrived, Tom was there and was just following Justice from the melaleuca graveyard to the nest. I got one shot of him and then he promptly flew away to the southeast. Humberto and Fernando joined us after that. Maybe they had some luck to report. None of us saw any adults.

Re: Sunday Morning May 31

Trisha
At 9:15 an adult and a juvenile flew to the nest. The adult was there for only seconds and then settled in a rather close maleleuca top, where it remained until 10:10 or so, when it flew southwest. The juvenile, (Justice?), ate, (if anything at all), a very tiny meal...as he was calling out to the adult almost as soon as it landed in the dead trees.

Justice then perched on the nest support branch pointing north and later moved to a higher perch just above the original, occasionally calling to the adult. When I left around 10:30, Justice was still on the perch and an adult had been spotted soaring very high near some other high fliers. Tom was still there so he may have further info on later activity.

I had to detour getting home as the "Weston bear" was caught along my route home, not too far from my neighborhood, at Royal Palm and Bonaventure. I hope he finds a better home in Big Cypress. I hope Mike has more details as I think he was on the same route, ahead of me.

Re: Sunday Morning May 31

Mike Fossler
No, I did not see the bear activity - I went home via the 36th street route Tom and I discussed with you the other day. I did see State Law Enforcement officers along that same route when I was coming to the eagle site around 8:45am.
Nonetheless, below are some photos from this morning's eagle watch. These photos are one of the adults at the malaluca strand and include a series of it being pestered by some mockingbirds. I've placed them and some others on my flickr site as well.

Re: Sunday Morning May 31

Mike, I just posted your slide show on today's blog-- it includes those magnificent photos from this morning!

Suggestion-- if you arrange the Flickr set in reverse order (most recent photos first), then each time they are viewed there is something new to see immediately.

See: Never Eat Anything Bigger Than Your Head

Re: Sunday Morning May 31

Mike Fossler
Thanks Ken. Also, I re-arranged the set to show latest upload first as you suggested - an oversight on my part from the beginning! MF

Re: Sunday Morning May 31

One problem with FLICKER is that the default is to place the most recent
photos last in a set, so you must re-organize your set every time you
add a photo if you want it at the beginning of a slide show.

Ken Schneider
Miramar, Florida & North Aurora, Illinois

Web site: http://www.rosyfinch.com
Eagle Nest: http://www.rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com
Photos: http://flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch

"Openness to the natural world and our response to it lie at the core of what we do and why we do it." (Fr. Tom Pincelli)

Mike Fossler (via Nabble) wrote:

> Thanks Ken. Also, I re-arranged the set to show latest upload first as
> you suggested - an oversight on my part from the beginning! MF

Re: Sunday Morning May 31

lisa baumbach reardon
ken- we are back in town from the weeekdne- will give you a call on your cell phone later today-

Re: Sunday Morning May 31

hi, Lisa-

Hope you had a good trip.

We leave for Chicago early tomorrow morning and return July 7.

Ken