Sunday and Monday at the Nest

Jill W
This post was updated on .
Sunday, I arrived at the nest at around 9:15 EDT and except for a 15 minute break to go to the Hess station and back, I was there until it was dark outside.

At various times, both adults and both chcks were visible for the people stopping by to see them.  One adult would be in the dead trees and one in the nest or the favorite Austrialian Pine close to the road.  Never, as far as I know, were both adults in the nest at the same time.

Lots of feedings were seen by the people watching.  Sorry, but I still can't figure out what the prey is, even using my new spotting scope.  The chicks did some very brief wing exercises that everyone enoyed watching.

In the afternoon, starting at about 1:30, an adult flew into the nest and stayed for close to two hours!  The crowd was very happy, and there were quite a few people there at times.  There were almost as many children watching as there were adults.

At about 5:30, one of the chicks decided to do a real workout.  He/she was hopping up and down and flapping like crazy.  The legs looked so cute, like they had some wool stuck on them.

There was only one frightening time when someone stopped their car in the middle of the road and another car coming from behind did not see it and had to slam on their brakes and swerve.  There were many cars that stopped in the road, but we were able to convince them to pull over or move on.

Monday morning, when I arrived at about 10:00, no humans were there watching.  The chicks were not visible and one adult was in the favorite Austrialian Pine.  Now and then, I could see a chick's wing go up, but the first time one was visible was at 10:40.  At 11:15, an adult flew into the nest with food.  One chick (I'm assuming the older one) was fed until 11:25 and then the other chick was fed.  The adult flew away at 11:30.

Both chicks then stood straight up and walked about the nest for about an hour, and then went down in the nest too low to see.

Today, I noticed that the chicks in the nest and the adult when in the dead tree were what appeared to be panting.

Unfortunately, I did not ever see two adults at the same time  :-(

I was alone there about half the time.

People frequently have stopped on the road to ask what is going on, as they have seen many cars parked there so much lately.  Today's question was funny.  I guess the guy could see something dark in the tree and asked me, "What are you looking at? A monkey is up there, right?"

I left at about 1:15.

Jill

Re: Sunday and Monday at the Nest

Thanks, Jill, for the excellent report. The photos are great, too. Did
you take them?

Ken

Ken Schneider
Miramar, Florida & North Aurora, Illinois

Web site: http://www.rosyfinch.com
Eagle Nest: http://www.rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com
Photos: http://flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch

"Openness to the natural world and our response to it lie at the core of what we do and why we do it." (Fr. Tom Pincelli)

JillW (via Nabble) wrote:

> [...]
> they have seen many cars parked there so much lately.  Today's
> question was so funny.  I guess the guy could see something dark in
> the tree and asked me, "What are you looking at, a monkey is up there,
> right?"
>

> I left at about 1:15.
>
> Lynda and "Paige"
>
> [URL=http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2056587710035844864bOsKqA][IMG]http://inlinethumb16.webshots.com/35983/2056587710035844864S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
>

> "Paige"
>
> [URL=http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2558954660035844864euDJTe][IMG]http://inlinethumb02.webshots.com/44225/2558954660035844864S600x600Q85.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
>

> So there is no confusion, "Paige" is not one of the eagles in Pembroke
> Pines.  She accompanies and assists Lynda White, Eagle Watch
> Coordinator for Audubon of Florida, with her wonderful presentations

Ken,

Thanks!  Yes, I did take them.  I edited them out of the post because the link didn't work.

Jill