The Search Continues

Sally
Searched Quiet Waters campground area this afternoon (1:00 - 2:30) for the eagles. Did not find anything while driving with binoculars. My strategy for future searches is to ask the staff as well as visitors if they saw or heard about the nest.

Shawnlei indicates that she has not received reported sightings as of this morning (10-18).

I am going to investigate the linear park area along the west side of Powerline, south of 10th Street during my next visit.

Good luck to my fellow eagle watchers!  Thanks, Sally

Re: The Search Continues

Stylechick60
Thank you Sally.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 18, 2019, at 3:47 PM, Sally [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Searched Quiet Waters campground area this afternoon (1:00 - 2:30) for the eagles. Did not find anything while driving with binoculars. My strategy for future searches is to ask the staff as well as visitors if they saw or heard about the nest.

Shawnlei indicates that she has not received reported sightings as of this morning (10-18).

I am going to investigate the linear park area along the west side of Powerline, south of 10th Street during my next visit.

Good luck to my fellow eagle watchers!  Thanks, Sally

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/The-Search-Continues-tp7575362.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: The Search Continues

Staff at Quiet Waters confirm that the Bald Eagles have returned to the western perimeter, outside the actual Quiet Waters Park boundaries as of a few weeks ago. But there was no knowledge about the site of a new nest.

Best to keep looking, as they usually build within a mile of the original site if there is a suitable tree.

I am concerned about the apparent poor condition of the single bird which was photographed on October 14th. There can be vicious fighting over mates and territories which can result in injuries and even death.

It will be reassuring if we see two healthy eagles together, so try to get photos when possible.

Re: The Search Continues

Stephanie5056
Thank you so much. Must ne near the turnpike. Im going to drive there this weekend and check around

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 6:44 AM NewMexiKen [via Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Staff at Quiet Waters confirm that the Bald Eagles have returned to the western perimeter, outside the actual Quiet Waters Park boundaries as of a few weeks ago. But there was no knowledge about the site of a new nest.

Best to keep looking, as they usually build within a mile of the original site if there is a suitable tree.

I am concerned about the apparent poor condition of the single bird which was photographed on October 14th. There can be vicious fighting over mates and territories which can result in injuries and even death.

It will be reassuring if we see two healthy eagles together, so try to get photos when possible.

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/The-Search-Continues-tp7575362p7575364.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from Bald Eagles of Broward County, Florida, click here.
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Re: The Search Continues

Stylechick60
Thank you all for the updates.

Sent from my iPad

Re: The Search Continues

We still have time for them to build a nest, and the other thing that would be very bad is something may have happened to one of the pair, I hope this is not the case, but if it is they should recover either with a new mate or something like that. We shall see. Wish for the best!

Re: The Search Continues

Agreed, when I took a picture of what looked like the female to me, she didn't look too good. But she could have just needed a good bath, I haven't seen them since that picture.

Kit

Re: The Search Continues

Stylechick60
I remember when I used to watch the webcam on the decorah, Iowa eagles one of them got electrocuted and they had to find a new mate. 😢

Sent from my iPhone

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/The-Search-Continues-tp7575362p7575368.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: The Search Continues

naturegirl
Just curious how the park staff can confirm the pair has returned if they don't know if/where the nest is ? It would seem the pair, even if there is a new mate would be visible and heard mating and making a nest. I will try to drive over next weekend and see if I see them

Re: The Search Continues

I believe that park staff meant someone has seen eagles (one or more?) outside the park but no one has mentioned any knowledge of a nest or even that they were paired up, as they do mate for life. That is why we should be on the lookout for a possible new site.

Some anecdotal observations suggest that an abandoned male may be more likely to remain on territory and try to bring in a new female, while a lone female may be more apt to follow a new male if it already has established a territory. I wonder if a new younger male is more likely to join an established female on her territory.

I'm sure there has been research on these various possibilities and someone may be able to provide a reference to a study and possibly an evidence-based clarification.

Of course we do not yet know whether both members of the Quiet Waters pair are alive and well. They were last seen together on September 4, so there is hope that they are. When the Pembroke Pines pair lost the female (Joy), the male (Pride) did attract a  new mate (Jewel).

Re: The Search Continues

Stylechick60
Interesting info
 thank you, Ken .

Sent from my iPhone

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/The-Search-Continues-tp7575362p7575374.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.

Re: The Search Continues

Rockitglider
I've been going to the nest tree before the sun rises to see if they are sleeping at the nest tree which they do if they are around their territory, however I have been 3 times in the last week and a half and neither one is there at all, you can tell if they are there even if you cant see them because when they wake up they always vocalize before they take off or leave for the day, and I've seen them do this even if only one is there, almost like a morning stretch. I feel something serious has happened but I will go at sunset a few times to see if they are around. Hopefully if one of them was lost the other will be able to re-pair up with  another adult. There sure is a lot of them now so it shouldn't take too long for this to happen, I just don't know what the likeliness of them using the same nest site is. Ken maybe you can help with this if you know, I saw you touched on it in another post about the male and female and the territory, so does the female determine what territory they use or the male or both? Thanks Ken.

Hoping for the best, Kit

Re: The Search Continues

FYI--

I am not aware of any scientific study about what happens when a Bald Eagle loses its mate. Most of the anecdotal information relates to loss of mate during the breeding season, when the survuving mate is strongly attached to the nest and territory. Since south Florida's adult eagles tend to stay near their nesting territory rather than migrate north, there may be a stronger tie to the nest area if a mate disappears. Here are some examples, all of which appear to relate to losses when there are eggs or eaglets in the nest.

Do eagles mate for life?

Generally, yes. Eagles engage in significant courtship and pair bonding behavior. Once a pair has succeeded in breeding, the pair will likely remain together for many years. However, if a mate dies or does not return to the nesting site for the breeding season, studies show that the surviving eagle generally will find a new mate very quickly. The remaining mate will likely use the existing nest with a new mate because of eagles’ strong nest site fidelity.

https://www.nationaleaglecenter.org/eagle-nesting-young/

Since bald eagle’s mate for life, will the female take another mate?

It's likely the female will have a mate by next season. “A big female like that, on the nest, without a mate sitting on the tree…if there is a floater around, that would attract attention." A male will bring the female sticks to try to impress her and “because she does the majority of the incubation, but not all, she has greater say in deciding where and how the nest operates.”

https://www.9news.com/article/news/a-bald-eagle-in-colorado-just-lost-her-lifelong-mate-what-happens-now-to-her-and-her-eggs/73-5f4997d6-933d-4ff6-b5ad-573146c74b28

Q. Do bald eagles have only one mate for life?

A. Typically, yes, although occasionally an intruding adult (not one of the pair) comes in (usually a female) and battles the resident bird for the territory, sometimes then taking over. If one of the pair dies, the other will find a new mate and usually keep going in the same territory.

https://journeynorth.org/tm/eagle/facts_life_cycle.html

Re: The Search Continues

Rockitglider
Thank you Ken,

Kit

Re: The Search Continues

Stylechick60
Very interesting. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone

http://bald-eagles-of-broward-county-florida.1638815.n2.nabble.com/The-Search-Continues-tp7575362p7575385.html
To start a new topic under QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from QUIET WATERS PARK DEERFIELD Eagle Nest Observations & Photos, click here.
NAML