The eaglets are really growing up!

Trisha
While watching the nest this morning with my binoculars, I observed a moment that I assume involved the eaglet considered to be the larger of the 2. The eaglet was very tall on the left side of the nest opening and closing its wings. All of a sudden it rapidly moved to the right side of the nest while flapping. Since its "feet" (there must be a better eagle term) were below the level of the rim I don't know whether it was "running" or actually experiencing a lift from the strong wind and the flapping wings. It really startled me as it appeared as if it was going to "fly" right out of the nest! Fortunately, the "adventure" ended on the right nest rim and the eaglet returned to a more center location. I imagine this precarious situation will occur many times before they are actually air born.

Re: The eaglets are really growing up!

Thanks, Trisha--

I just got back after watching between 1:00 PM and 2:30 PM. I saw the
same behavior-- the larger chick moved rapidly from left to right. It
did this a couple of times. First, I thought it was fighting with the
younger on, but then the little head popped up at the far left side of
the nest. One parent was roosting on the melaleucas when I got there.
There were about 15 people at that end and another 20 or so at the nest
site. No one walked inside the pylons. The adult flew and only about 5
or 10 minutes later (about 1:30 PM) an adult came in with prey. Looked
like a long thin thing-- I thought too fat for a snake, too skinny and
long for a tilapia. Some said it was a snake and others thought maybe an
iguana. The adult seemed to just drop it into the nest, then later was
reaching down. The smaller chick was still on the far left side, behind
the adult. The adult flew off after about 20 minutes. Both chicks popped
up and the larger one did a lot of wing flapping. Then the smaller
flapped for a while while the big one just watched it. It was hot and
very windy.

Ken Schneider
Miramar, Florida & North Aurora, Illinois

Web site: http://www.rosyfinch.com
Eagle Nest: http://www.rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com
Photos: http://flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch

"Openness to the natural world and our response to it lie at the core of what we do and why we do it." (Fr. Tom Pincelli)