The nest is gone?

Speechykeane
I have noticed that the nest is gone...  it must have collapsed a few weeks ago.. Have the eagles left as well?  I have not seen the adults in a couple of weeks.  One of the juveniles was still around the area of where the nest was, but I have not seen it in several days.

Hopefully they will rebuild a nest in the area.. with the construction right there, I wonder though..

Re: The nest is gone?

Hellene Grundler
Hi, I am the nest monitor for the Deerfield Beach Bald Eagle Nest. On April 10th I watched as the bottom half of the of the nest collapsed with one of the fledglings(DB5) sitting in the nest bowl. The eaglet never even moved, but I Sat there shocked! As of today, 4/30 there are just a few sticks left where the nest was. I arrived at 6:30 this evening and one of the fledglings (I believe it's DB5) was perched in a tree at the nest site. One of the parents was also perched next to the nest tree. Last evening I observed 2 of the fledglings flying over the lake in Quiet Waters Park.
The Deerfield Beach nest area is surrounded by 3 lakes....food is plentiful! I am hopeful that this beautiful bald eagle couple will return and rebuild!

Hellene Grundler

Re: The nest is gone?

KellyHeffernan Proj Perch
Hellene -

What happened with the eaglet after it landed on the ground in the nest
bowl on the ground?

That is too bad.  It was such a beautiful nest!  I hope the eagles will
rebuild it as well, but it may be a common problem for eagles.

Kelly Heffernan
SFAS's Project Perch
(978) 412-5313

> Hi, I am the nest monitor for the Deerfield Beach Bald Eagle Nest. On
> April
> 10th I watched as the bottom half of the of the nest collapsed with one of
> the fledglings(DB5) sitting in the nest bowl. The eaglet never even moved,
> but I Sat there shocked! As of today, 4/30 there are just a few sticks
> left
> where the nest was. I arrived at 6:30 this evening and one of the
> fledglings
> (I believe it's DB5) was perched in a tree at the nest site. One of the
> parents was also perched next to the nest tree. Last evening I observed 2
> of
> the fledglings flying over the lake in Quiet Waters Park.
> The Deerfield Beach nest area is surrounded by 3 lakes....food is
> plentiful!
> I am hopeful that this beautiful bald eagle couple will return and
> rebuild!
>
> Hellene Grundler

Re: The nest is gone?

Speechykeane
I am glad to hear that the Eagles are still around...  Sad that the nest collapsed...What a horrible thing to have watched!  Hopefully they will find another tree close by to rebuild in for next season..  Thank you for the information!  I drive by the nest area every day and I love when I can catch a glimpse of them...

Re: The nest is gone?

Hellene Grundler
Hi Kelly,
The eaglet I call "Scrappy" remained in the top portion of the nest...never even moved! Three days later the top portion collapsed. I am hopeful they will rebuild in the same tree. This is their territory which on occasion they have defended.
I was at the nest area this evening and spotted 2 of the eaglets. Soon I will be an empty nester!

Have a great week,
Hellene

Re: The nest is gone?

KellyHeffernan Proj Perch
Hellene -

Thank you, now I understand!  I thought Scrappy fell with the nest.  Phew!
 At least they were grown enough to not be dependent on it anymore.

Let's hope they've got more building experience and come up with a new and
improved design this next time.

Regards - Kelly

Kelly Heffernan
SFAS's Project Perch