Thursday, Friday and Saturday (3-14) at the Nest

Thursday, Friday and Saturday (3-14) at the Nest

Jill W
This post was updated on .
Thursday, I was not there for very long, as I had friends with me and it was quite sunny and hot.  We saw both chicks and one adult.
Friday, at 11:05, both adults were in the nest at the same time.  One of them brought a fairly large fish.  After both adults left the nest, the chicks did some wing exercises.  There were quite a few feedings during the time I was there.
Today, I arrived at 8:30 and stayed until 11:45.  During that time, one adult was in the dead trees to the west, but neither adult went to the nest.  I left to get something to eat, and on my way back to US 27 to return home at 12:45, I stopped by to ask some of the people who were at the nest when I left if there had been a feeding.  There had not :-(
I wonder if the parents have started the chicks on thier "diet" to slim down to be able to fly in a few weeks.
This morning, I saw that one of the "No Parking" signs to the west, near the roosting area used very often, was down flat on the ground and the base of the post was bent and broken.  I assume someone ran it down with their car.
Most peope parked on the south side and didn't want to move when advised that they could be ticketed.
Jill

Re: Thursday, Friday and Saturday (today) at the Nest

Sharon
I finally got to stop by on Saturday and although I had to wait several hours to see the parents, the wait was worth it. Everyone who stopped by was so friendly. People would offer each other binoculars to view them or point them out for those who had trouble spotting the nest. I got there around 11:30 and waited until about 1:30 when I needed to leave to get something to eat. Sure enough, in the short time I was gone, the parents came. I did get to see the male flying around and the female sitting on the nest. A few times the babies would pop up their heads.