Tues 5/5/09 7:30AM-10AM

Carolyn J
I arrived and saw nothing at the nest or dead trees; thought the kids must have already taken off for the day. I decided to walk back down to the dead trees and look harder way back for anyone. Of course, as I was halfway between the nest and the graveyard, I heard a ruckus and started running back towards the nest. A parent had just been in the nest, apparently made a drop, and both chicks has flown in for breakfast! The parent wasted no time there, just took off to the graveyard and sat way up front like in the old days. I wasn't sure who was eating, or what was being eaten. It appeared to me that it may have been Justice eating, Hope standing off to the east side of the nest. (now that's a change, isn't it?) Whomever it was that was chowing down left shortly thereafter, and landed in the pine with the long vertical branch to the east of the nest. However, the Grackles made his visit a short one; dive bombing as usual.
Trisha arrived very shortly after myself, and we stayed til 10. During the time that Trisha and I were there, we did see one chick back in the nest eating. Trisha felt it may have been Hope, and as I thought it had been Justice eating earlier, that made sense. A parent was still in the dead trees, preening and looking around. We were waiting for the parent to take off, and take off it did, as both chicks flew over our heads at the same time the parent flew. The kids circled around overhead for some time, looking so beautiful, until they circled way too high for sighting. It was a gorgeous eagle morning to behold!

Re: Tues 5/5/09 7:30AM-10AM

Trisha
Great post Carolyn...you gave me goosebumps again!!! That idea we all were thinking of no more days of non-stop activity and in nest feeding/eating may be somewhat premature!