UPDATE eagle pair seen away from nest on back snag questions 1.13.19

UPDATE eagle pair seen away from nest on back snag questions 1.13.19

naturegirl
I got there @ 8:20am saw the pair on the back snag for a few minutes then the female (I guess) flew to the branch near the nest and watched it for about 10 minutes. She then seemed to be fixing and cleaning the nest, I left  @ 8:50am.

Ken - questions :

Would both birds leave eggs unattended ? Would they leave newly hatched eaglets unattended ?
Is it possible the egg/eaglet died ? Usually with birds when both parents have nest duty eggs and chicks are always covered from what I've seen.

If I can't get back there this afternoon will again either during the week or next weekend. Hope all is ok with them

Photo 1 you can see the pair on back snag (male is just barely seen bottom right of tree)
Photo 2 female on branch near nest
Photo 3 female in the nest

Re: UPDATE eagle pair seen away from nest on back snag questions 1.13.19

Rosyfinch
Hi Staci-Lee--

My own observations have been that eggs are very rarely left unattended or uncovered, particularly in cold weather.  I once saw both members of the Pembroke Pines pair chase off an intruding immature eagle when eggs were left uncovered and not watched. Same for very young eaglets. But once they can self-regulate their body temperature at least one parent usually keeps watch nearby. Therefore if they are uncovered during mild weather after 2 weeks age this would not be unusual, but one parent would normally be standing by, at least until the eaglets are big and strong enough to fight off an intruder. Persistent absence of feeding and tending would indicate mortality of the eaglet. The PP pair disappeared for a few days after losing their brood but within a week were copulating and soon produced a second clutch.

Re: UPDATE eagle pair seen away from nest on back snag questions 1.13.19

naturegirl
Ken,

So if we were thinking egg(s) were laid some time around Dec 2nd - Dec 7th then at best an eaglet would only be about 1 week old too young to be left alone. If egg(s) haven't hatched then shouldn't be left unattended. Maybe the egg/eaglet is dead ? Is it possible they haven't laid any eggs yet?

Re: UPDATE eagle pair seen away from nest on back snag questions 1.13.19

Staci asked:

So if we were thinking egg(s) were laid some time around Dec 2nd - Dec 7th then at best an eaglet would only be about 1 week old too young to be left alone. If egg(s) haven't hatched then shouldn't be left unattended. Maybe the egg/eaglet is dead ? Is it possible they haven't laid any eggs yet?

If temperature is above 70 degrees and there is no chill factor because of wind or rain, it is not unusual for the eggs or hatchling eaglet to be uncovered for brief intervals. I would expect the parent to be keeping close vigil until the eaglets are capable of defending against an intruder. If eggs or new eaglet is left alone for a long time in cold or inclement weather this would be concerning.

Without a nest camera it is impossible to determine the exact day the first egg is laid or hatched. Before laying the egg the female may become "broody" and sit on the nest for long intervals for a few days before laying. We have been fairly successful at timing the event with the Pembroke Pines pair, by noting the first day that the female stays deep and does not depart from the nest over a prolonged period of observation.  We think the PP female laid the first egg on or about December 6th, with expected hatch 35 days later (JAN 10), but we are getting mixed signals as to the behavior of the adults, as much of the nest is not in clear view.

Re: UPDATE eagle pair seen away from nest on back snag questions 1.13.19

naturegirl
UPDATE 1.15.19 stopped by around 1pm for about 10 mins and saw 1 adult deep in nest seemed like sitting on egg or eaglet. Bad news is the orange cones all along that stretch on 10th street is because they are currently expanding the roads, which won't do anything but bring more traffic. You can still stop by plenty of room between cones and no work on weekends