Watching this afternoon 4-6:10

Jill W
I swear, the eaglets must see my car coming and say to themselves, "Here she comes, it must be time for a long nap now."
Two things I have not seen before happened this afternoon.  An adult arrived at the nest with food and neither chick got up from their nap to eat.  The adult proceeded to eat for about 20 minutes and I could not see even the top of a chick's head on the nest.
The other thing was the adult who ate alone flew to the pine tree to the east and lifted one wing and fluffed out its chest feathers for a very long time.  I was wondering if it was injured or something.  Then, it raised both wings and began to pant.  Then, I was pretty sure what was going on.  It was not injured, just feeling hot.  I've read that birds lift their wings when they are hot to regulate their body temperature.

I'll try to get a couple of pictures posted.  A problem I had with the new camera was that at the nest area in the late afternoon, the sun shines brightly on areas of the pine tree and the nest and when the camera was set on automatic, the photos were quite overexposed

Re: Watching this afternoon 4-6:10

Nice photos, and an interesting report, Jill!

I don't know about your camera, but mine lets me "spot meter" on the
center of the image, so it ignores the other areas that would cause
improper exposure. I can also take a test shot and look at the black and
white histogram to see if the exposure is balanced. If the image is in
full sun, I also drop the ISO to 200 (my image stabilization does not
work well at lower ISOs. If I forget to put the ISO back up to 400 or so
I may get underexposed shots of the nest if the tree is very well- lit.
There is also an exposure level indicator at the bottom of the
viewfinder on my Canon-- if it is not at or near the center it indicates
over or under exposure. If you are over-exposed, change to a faster
shutter or smaller aperture. (I only "discovered" this yesterday, as the
display is so dim I never noticed it-- a professional photographer
pointed this out to me when I under-exposed a nest shot). Never use the
"fully automatic" setting-- get accustomed to the versatility of
customizing for various situations, but taking test shots, and use the
camera's display to "tune" your shots.

Now, if I can only learn to practice what I preach...

Ken Schneider
Miramar, Florida & North Aurora, Illinois

Web site: http://www.rosyfinch.com
Eagle Nest: http://www.rosyfinch.com/BaldEagleNest.html
Blog: http://blog.rosyfinch.com
Photos: http://flickr.com/photos/rosyfinch

"Openness to the natural world and our response to it lie at the core of what we do and why we do it." (Fr. Tom Pincelli)