Watching this morning 9:15 - 11:00

Mary Lou and I watched from 9:15 until 11:00 this morning. When we arrived, the female was roosting in its usual spot in the tall Australian Pine to the east of the nest. A work crew had just arrived and they proceeded to excavate with a bobcat shovel right in front of the roosting bird. The crew had to find a water main line, which they did within about an hour. The bird appeared not to pay any attention to the noise and activity. After about 20 minutes the male arrived with a white bird, and fed it to the chicks. As usual, Hope ate first while Justice kept to the far left (east) side of the nest, away from his sibling and the adult. Justice even spent most of the time looking the other way! Then, after 10 minutes or so, Justice moved in and seemed to share the meal amicably. In the meantime, the female flew off while we were concentrating on the action in the nest. The male then flew over to the same tree, cleaned its bill and preened. not paying attention to the work crew. Hope was particularly active, jumping almost 2 feet into the air. Justice also did some flapping after the larger chick settled down. Al joined us and stayed after we departed. Annie and Steve called to say they had watched earlier (7:00 - 9:00), and they reported the birds were very active and that they had been fed by the female, which then roosted in the tree where we found her upon our arrival, just after they had left the site.

We stapled the signs (in English and Spanish) advising what to do if an eaglet falls to the ground.