What's at Stake 2060

Barb Walker
In case you haven't seen this yet.  An excellent report.  http://www.myfwc.com/docs/RecreationActivities/FWC2060.pdf#search="what's at stake 2060"

Barb

Re: What's at Stake 2060

Thanks, Barbara. This is very interesting reading.

According to the report, during the next 50 years, Florida's Bald Eagles are projected to lose 1.9 million acres of habitat.

"Bald eagles have done so well in recent years, they have been removed from the endangered list. But if the state’s human population doubles, eagles could lose ground.That’s because only 40 percent of Florida’s 1,248 bald eagle nests are on protected public lands. Smart growth strategies can help protect eagles and other Florida wildlife."

Eagles that seek out urban nest sites are pioneers, re-establishing populations in areas where they have been extinct for years. We feel a duty to prevent the recurrence of local extinction. The City of Pembroke Pines has been very cooperative in furthering that goal. Although we are unhappy with some of the parking and viewing restrictions, important steps have been taken to protect our local pair from disturbance.