anyone been to the nest today?

Lisa baumbach Reardon,

Re: anyone been to the nest today?

Trisha
Carolyn, Tom and I were there this morning, 8:30-11:30. The juveniles and an adult were there the whole time. There were at least 2 feedings with the adult coming in so quick it's easy to miss. Usually the clue of an incoming adult is the loud calling of the hungry juveniles. This morning the adult would always go to the tall pine east of the nest by the wires after each feeding. The last feeding around 11am, I watched with the binoculars and saw that it was bringing 1 med size fish for the meal. Several times the juveniles flew by the perched adult seemingly begging for more food. I was photographing the adult in the tree so I don't know if the eating was amicable. Yesterday the siblings were fighting a bit over the food. Carolyn was watching more down at the nest so maybe she can describe the eating activity.

Re: anyone been to the nest today?

Kelly Smith
I stopped  by briefly from about 12:30-1:00.  Smith Juan and I saw the adult, still roosting in the pine east of the nest, and the kids returning from a brief fly around.  There was much vocalizing as they returned and one landed in the nest while the other flew away somewhere south of the nest, but could be heard vocalizing.  The juvenile eagle in the nest quickly lowered itself and did not appear to be eating.  Maybe taking a bit of a nap? It was as low as the adults sometimes were when they were brooding - only a bit of a tail feather showing.

Re: anyone been to the nest today?

Sharon
I visited the nest today around 2:00 PM. There was only 1 other person there upon my arrival. He informed me that I had just missed spotting one of the adults by 15 minutes.

One of the kids was in the nest and the other was on the branch right above the nest. Then the perched eagle hopped down to the nest and I had the good fortune to hear them vocalizing to the parents. After this and some wing stretching from one of the eagles, they hunkered down into the nest.

This is a picture of the eagle calling to the parents.

5/16/09

Re: anyone been to the nest today?

Sharon
Sorry. The previous photo is not the one of the eagle calling to his parents. Here is the photo I meant to send:

5/16/09a