eagle sighting sunset lakes

Lisa baumbach Reardon,
my friend that lives in sunset lakes saw an eagle on top of the lighthouse in the lake last night and again this morning- this is the smae place she wodul see our eagles- but I think this may be the extra one that people have been seeing -

at least there is one still around!

Re: eagle sighting sunset lakes

Trisha
Is your friend the same person who posted a video of the bald eagle on the lighthouse quite a while ago? I looked back through the posts and didn't see the post...but I didn't spend a lot of time looking. At the time we wondered if it was one of our adults. I think there was some discussion that it was close enough to the territory "belonging" to our eagles that it could be 1 of ours. It's interesting that our eagles could be gone and this other 1 is still around. It would be great to solve the mystery!

Re: eagle sighting sunset lakes

Stephanie S
I'm the one with the previous post and video of the eagle on the lighthouse.
As far as we know, it has always been adults that we see on the lighthouse in the lake behind our house.
The last sighting on the lighthouse was Saturday morning, but I was out much of today.

Actually, one or two weeks ago I saw two eagles there at the same time. One was sitting on the peak, and then another came and dove down (to hunt?) and then it seemed that the first was bumped off the peak by the second, and then the first one dove down.
By the time I found my glasses they were gone, so I couldn't see the color of the heads. However, the one this past Saturday had a white head, as did the eagle(s) of past sightings.

I would say we see the eagle at least every third day we're actually home, and recently (last weekend) one was there nearly all day, morning to night.

I know there was some doubt, but I feel that this (these) must be the same eagles in the nest. We're not that far from there, and having seen two at once gives more credence to that hypothesis.
I'll try to post a picture with my next sighting.

-Stephanie

Re: eagle sighting sunset lakes

Trisha
Thanks so much for your new input Stephanie! We really thought the eagles had left the area.  Ken is really trying to get a time line on their departures from the nest area but some say that the south Fl eagles may stay in the area until nesting time again or only move to central or north FL. It would really be valuable for us to hear if you still see the eagles around you. No eagles had been seen in the nest area for over a week until yesterday when I got a call that 1 adult was perched on the nest.

I tend to agree with you that they must be the same pair as you haven't seen any evidence of a nest over by you, right? Maybe your lake is where they mainly get their fish, which is a large part of their diet. It sure would be interesting to know for sure!