nest watch, Mon 5:30-7:30, Tues morning 8:15-11:15

nest watch, Mon 5:30-7:30, Tues morning 8:15-11:15

Trisha
These last 2 visits to the nest have been thrilling.....to see the young eagles flying as well as they are in such a short amount of time is just amazing to me. On both visits the young have flown off the nest within a couple minutes of each other and returned pretty much 1 after the other also. It's fun to think of them exploring their new world together.

Last night when I arrived both young were resting on the nest. Shortly, a parent dropped off food and they both jumped up with lots of noisy calling and shared a fish dinner. Lou was taking videos and said that there was a huge cloud of flies all over the nest, all over the eagles (not too appealing, for sure). Hope finished first and soon took off to give Lou and me an amazing air show as "she" flew in large circles around the nest area and out over our heads even with the tree tops. As usual, I was so in the moment that I didn't even move to take pictures. Lou had the video going so maybe he got some of the action...but he was pretty captivated just watching also. Hope then flew back to a branch above the nest and it was Justin's turn to perform a slightly shorter airshow in the same area....just awesome! When Justin returned "he" had a lot of speed and went into the nest so fast he tumbled and you could hear the sound of his wings scratching the sticks in the nest as he slid.

This morning was very similar, with flying practice separated by 2 feedings and resting on the nest. Carolyn arrived as 1 of the new fliers was above the highway, circling overhead. Eventually it met up with some vultures and circled quite high, just soaring around. The black vultures kept having to flap their wings while our "little" eagle just soared by them with wings outstretched.

The siblings eventually met up (it seemed to be south of the nest) and landed 1 after the other. A short time later a parent brought food. The adult flew up to a high, bare horizontal branch way up in the nest tree (I had not seen it at that location before) while its offspring ate. Justice was funny....vocalizing for "his" share as Hope ate and "he" watched. "He" first moved around to Hope's right side (she faced east) and stood there staring at her eating. Getting no notice, he then moved around her tail to go over to her left side and stare at the food from that angle....neither demonstrating any aggression. In a few minutes Hope moved off to the right nest and Justice ate what was left.

After a short time the youngsters were back taking off again, 1 after the other. They flew in a western direction and Carolyn and I couldn't spot them anywhere. They were flying (or so we thought) for about 15 min. when an adult appeared with food delivery. The siblings must have been roosting in the trees behind the nest as they both came flying fast at the nest and loudly calling. One managed to get in the nest and the other went over the back edge and we heard the sound of wings hitting branches. Carolyn and I both held our breath but in a few seconds the wings appeared and then the rest of the body as the over zealous eagle climbed back into the rear(south) rim of the nest. After a quick meal they both settled down for much deserved rest and I headed home for the same!

Re: nest watch, Mon 5:30-7:30, Tues morning 8:15-11:15

AquaLou
Thanks, Trisha, for the detailed update.  It certainly is fun to watch changes take place in the behavior for the juveniles.

Lou

Re: nest watch, Mon 5:30-7:30, Tues morning 8:15-11:15

Trisha
Thanks Lou...I'm still working on sending you that picture...my son is
coming over so maybe he can help me!
I wish I could just figure out how to post pictures on the forum.

Trisha