5/7/14 - Eaglet displays breaking twig behavior - photo

5/7/14 - Eaglet displays breaking twig behavior - photo

Hellene Grundler
I observed the eaglet flying between four cypress trees attempting breaking twig behavior. His/her last attempt was successful and he/she flew north with greenery from the cypress tree.

Re: 5/7/14 - Eaglet displays breaking twig behavior - photo

That is so interesting, Hellene. I have never seen an eaglet do this, although adults bring in nesting material even after the eaglets hatch-- often it is nest lining material which may be added to cover the left-over prey remains and perhaps deter flies. As has been said, they "sweep the dirt under the carpet."

In this case I assume that you did not see the eaglet return to the nest with the material. Perhaps it was exercising an instinctive behavior that will later become necessary for survival once it must build a nest of its own.

Maybe you have researched this and have found references to like behavior in eaglets? If not it will be interesting to know if it has been documented previously. We can learn a great deal by observing eagles "live" from the ground. A nest camera tends to provide a more intimate but also much narrower view of their activities.

Re: 5/7/14 - Eaglet displays breaking twig behavior - photo

KellyHeffernan Proj Perch
Maybe the eaglet is modeling what it sees its parents doing?  Or maybe
just breaking the twig because it can, like any youngster.  Very cool to
see!

Kelly Heffernan
SFAS's Project Perch
(978) 412-5313